USBR (spice) issue on RHEL6.2

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

USBR (spice) issue on RHEL6.2

Post by Kirk »

So at work I run Red hat enterprise linux 6.2. We have windows KVMs of both xp and 7. In order to access a USB drive in the KVM RH uses spice with a gui of USBR. I am having issues with both spice not forwarding the info to the KVM and the USBR freezing or the icon disappearing. the only thing Ive really dont is uninstall / reinstall the USBR app. Im not real sure where to start. anyone point me in the right direction?

Kirk

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: USBR (spice) issue on RHEL6.2

Post by ayu »

The only things I can think about, well it's basically a stab in the dark, but have you made sure that the user/group that the VM is running under, has enough permissions to access the USB devices?
Also, you could run the VM in a terminal or in verbose mode possibly, and maybe get some output of what is happening.

I also did a quick google, and came up with this, not sure if it's the correct stuff you are looking for though.

Code: Select all

http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/virt-manager-and-usb-device-support
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Re: USBR (spice) issue on RHEL6.2

Post by Kirk »

That site says USB write through isnt supported but for us it is. ill have to check on the libvirt info. when i hit CTL+ALT+F2 and plug the usb in i get,
sd 7:0:0:0 (sdb) assuming drive cache: write through
I know we use spice to do the usb write through
forgot to mention in the last post, its sporatic. so you can sometimes use it but mostly not. im still trying to figure out if there is one thing that does it, or a few things in combination, etc.

also, at times when you shut the computer down it will give the error USBR: not responding. then you have to choose shut down anyway.