Hiding Windows inside Linux

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Hiding Windows inside Linux

Post by ph0bYx »

Hey guys!
My country proved to be a piece of crap once again. This time inspections go around and check for unregistered software and my favorite gaming cafe is in danger. Like every other net cafe in the country it runs pirated.. well.. everything.
The problem now is that none of the games that are popular there work on Linux (including WIne). So I was thinking on creating a dual-boot with Windows, edit the grub file and delete the Windows entry there, and somehow hide the Windows partition in Linux so that it can't be accessible that easy. Any ideas on how to do the last part?
Also I'd appreciate any other ideas on how to circumvent the inspections. :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Hiding Windows inside Linux

Post by bad_brain »

I did the same but through BIOS. do you have 2 HDDs? if yes you can install Windows to 1 and Linux to the other, and when you set the one you install on (before installing I mean) as 1st boot device every HDD has it's own MBR in the end. so you can set in what OS to boot by adjusting the 1st boot device in BIOS.

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

No, they have one HDD per computer.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ok, you can use the GRUB shell to hide an entry, for the 1st HDD 2nd partition it would be:
hide (hd0,1)
the entry is not showing up anymore in the menu afterwards and is simply ignored during boot. if you want to boot into that partition again you simply unhide it again first:
unhide (hd0,1)
:wink:

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Hah, so easy! :D

Anyway, this is what I did. Since they have 1 HDD on all computers and 2 partitions on all of those, first one Windows, second one all the games; I had to install Linux inside Windows on the little space left on the D:\ partition.
When the system would load it first asks to choose between Windows and Ubuntu, after choosing Ubuntu GRUB appears again asking to choose. So to hide them I've altered the boot. ini file. Set the timeout to 1, changed the default to Ubuntu and renamed the Windows one to "Ubuntu (recovery mode)" :D
Also I've renamed the GRUB entry for Windows to "Ubuntu, memtest86+"
Pretty noobish but I think it'll do.

----
I had to put spaces in boot. ini because after posting I get this:
Image :-k

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

They will be expecting to watch your body language when they first walk through the door, they will be looking for that reaction, be cool, smile offer them a cup of tea and be jolly but not OTT. They will prob then just switch them on look at them and leave without any bother. If any one panics or looks at another person they will spot it, just be cool and say yeah sure, and if there are two of you send the more nervous one to do something else.

The first few seconds will set the up the next 5-????? minutes depending on this.

Remember they are being paid by the hour, if they suspect nothing then they move on to the next.

Good work *thumb*
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com