Any fellow Jeepers out there?

Hobbies that have no own category (yet).
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Any fellow Jeepers out there?

Post by visser »

Alright so recently I started my build thread for my first jeep: http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/general-patton-136496/

I must say I am way excited to be taking this project under my wing. I know a lot of you guys here on the forums love to rock the mountain bikes, and total respect to that, but I am a good ole fashioned Michigan red neck (DNR where you at nowadays?).

So am I the only one that can stare at an XJ for hours?
AKA Scottyrabbit

software engineers unite!

//When my words are remembered its because my actions were loud enough.

visser

Re: Any fellow Jeepers out there?

Post by visser »

Holy balls, I did not realize we have a hobby section on these forums???

I am way toasty so if a mod wants to move this thread there thats totes legit. otherwise im gonna do that in the morning ahahahah
AKA Scottyrabbit

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I got certified as Range Officer at a 3 gun/tactical gun range. So I am outdoors again. I defo love Jeeps, I like ATVs, open door feeling. The ability to go over terrain is also a bonus anytime. They are not the same as cars, so you do have to change some driving habits.

Got to bring your jeep out to the gun club, we got some backwoods for minor ATV'ing. We can mount the Saiga 12 on the roof of the Jeep. *thumb*

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

As you can see we are into all sorts of shit.

I use to off-road and loved it. Hell my first ride was a Toyota 4x4 with 33s on it. Gutless but for my first ride its was sweet. Now a few decades later I am into sailing, VWs and Mt. Biking just to name a few. We all have a common thread somewhere. You're never alone at the Suck-o. O:)
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

visser

Post by visser »

DNR: I figured you would have tracked my IP down already and found it out before me telling you: but im not in Michigan anymore! I am rocking it here in Arizona now. Fucking desert.

Also: hell yeah toyota on 33s
AKA Scottyrabbit

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Arizona - might be good for long range varmint hunting 8)

I does suck that in USA, so close, yet so far.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

visser

Post by visser »

Yeah I have an AZ id so I can register for guns now which is way cool. So I was thinking about looking into seeing what the laws are down here and shite.

Other than that I totally planned on getting a break barrel pellet gun to rumble around in the jeep with ahahha
AKA Scottyrabbit

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

Where I live in Missouri is good for varmint hunting practice shooting and whatever else. I'll have to upload a picture one of these days.

Love Jeeps never owned one came close I had a 1965 IH scout. Where I used to live there was no place to go off roading. So I settled for street racing all American muscle cars 1960- 73 no foreign toy cars. I had a couple big blocks but mostly small block Chevy's.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

it was the same here - there were less places local to go off road and most of my driving was freeways. So I got V-8s, tried some 4 cylinders, and now like V-6s. You try the wide tires, the narrow tires, trick exhaust, fuels and intakes. It was easier to make a stock V-8 faster with a few simple tweaks and mods you can do yourself - 1970, 1980.
More electronics and tighter engine compartment made it harder and more expensive. Now you can't change heads for bigger valves without causing confusion with a onboard computer. Backyard tweaks became auto shop jobs that cost money for gear to read and program machines.

I also believe great drivers are rare. lots of other friends had fast cars, and they either crashed them or couldn't pass a blind old lady on a sunday drive. Roll over and head on crashes were the memories of guys with baby faces, punks from high school barely in to the real world.

It had nothing to do with drugs, or impaired driving. They just wanted to be bad-ass behind the wheel. They drove aggressively, stalked red-lights for a quick race, or dominated the passing lane on the freeways - daring someone to pass. When a challenge came up - a faster car wanting to pass, their heart rate increase, they get an adrenalin dump that is intoxicating. A red light challenge - one driver keeps inching up on the white line during the light. The engine idle increases, you can tell the driver is stacking up on the brake while gassing. You avoid making eye contact, they might even try to wave at you with a smile.
I dump the gas instantly on green - I watched the intersection so I avoid the fatal 'last second yellow light driver' from the opposite traffic. Usually some intersections have a slight hill or bump in the middle of the intersection, I make sure I drop it into second gear on the downside of this bump. The drivers that try to shift gears and dump gas to keep up, I race beyond the speed limit to see how 'illegal' they want to go. We both blow the speed limit by the first 5 seconds of the race, now we race to the next light or traffic - he who brakes first will scrub off speed and get cut off. I had one camaro driven by a young kid - as seen through the t-top - I raced him to the next light, where there was a line of cars stuck. He did not want to get cut off so he dumped gas and cut in front of me. I braked in time - he had no room left to brake so he rear-ended the car in our lane. Driving is like a chess game, it requires long range planning, planning moves beyond the first light, and knowing when to shift down or brake. Some people get 'high' from the adrenalin, they get narrow focused, they get impaired thinking.

Now, I am a better driver I don't allow my impulses to lure me into speed traps or drag races. I own a car that looks sleeper on the outside, but still fast with a 3.5 v-6. I believe in premium tires, they are pretty much 70% of good driving and control. A powerful engine is great, but a skilled driver who can plan his moves is going to win.

DNR
-

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I think we are getting old, along with the engine I would set up the suspension to handle curves. I drove the same roads for hours I knew every bump and flaw it helped when the sheriff was behind me. long story for another time. I only remember getting smoked once. I built an olds 455 in a 1970 toronado a front wheel drive car, interesting for 1970. Anyway I was heading home with my 73 grand prix. I was travelling down the road at about 100 mph. My theory was anything over 100 mph the cops are not going to turn around and if they did I knew the roads and fields so loosing them was not a problem. I see lights behind me, I stand on the gas pedal figuring it is the law and I am about to get busted. Spedo buried the car behind me is gaining fast finally no red/blue lights it blows past me like I am standing still. On the back of the car is a bumper sticker animals are kind to dumb people. It is my car the Olds toronado. Game on, I keep it glued to the floor and the toro is pulling away rapidly. It blows through a usually busy intersection I figured F*** it if it made it I will. We made it I finally started catching up to the car about three miles before the serious curves ahead. I blew past the car and spent most of my time sideways in the curves but I made it. I pulled over on the straight away and waited. No car, I turned around and searched still no car it did not miss the curves it did not exist. I finally gave up searching and went home when I got home the phone was ringing. It was my mother it seems when I blew past the car it had ran out of fuel she managed to coast from three mile road to five mile road. I brought gas for the car and drove in shame home behind mom.