Tablet computer versus Laptop computer

Our very own fight club!
Hiram
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Tablet computer versus Laptop computer

Post by Hiram »

Image Image

Can a tablet computer replace a laptop computer?
I think the problem here is the touch screen. The
touch screen is amazing, a marvel, but if those who
introduced it were aiming to improve portability, then they
hit the wrong hole. For example, touch screen mobile phones
are wider and bulky, including a stylus.

A display is a display for display. Why should you touch it?
I can’t bear a single speck on my computer display, but what
about those who keep on touching their screens? :-s

Imagine if our eyes had another function besides sight. Wouldn’t
this be distracting to the sense of sight? Your fiancée comes and says
hi, touches the eye, aauuch! #-o Don’t ask me what for. May be to
stimulate your feelings. :-({|=

Imagine cats hacking with a tablet computer. What kind of posture
would he be in? Wouldn’t he be like someone counting money
in hiding?

Sometimes it takes a while to find the suitable purpose for some
new technology. I have seen virtual soft keys for controlling
air conditioners with separate points for display. This really shows
some sense of functionality.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Tablet computer versus Laptop computer

Post by ayu »

It depends on what you want to be able to do with your machine.

In my eyes a tablet wont ever replace my laptop.
For 2 simple reasons.

1: The tablet either runs iOS or Android, and although they both come from Unix systems, you can't easily do the same things as you can on a laptop.
2: When I program, which I do most of the day, I need to have a rather big screen and keyboard. And if you put the keyboard ON the screen, it would take up too much of the space to make it comfortable to program (and also I want the mechanic feeling when pushing my buttons, as I keep hitting the wrong ones when it's on an on screen keyboard). And if you make the screen big enough to have all the space I want and yet have the keyboard on the screen, it would all of a sudden not be so small and portable anymore, thus killing the purpose of it.

If I buy an Acer transformer for example, then I would want a keyboard for it, which I can, but then it becomes just another laptop.
And if I want to run my Perl-scripts on it, it will become a pain it the rear.

So for me a tablet is just a downgrade with a single fancy feature.
So, tablets are for people, who doesn't need to do all those things on their device, but simply need it for surfing, email, chat and maybe some text editing (I tried text editing on a table, couldn't mark all the text when I wanted to copy/paste it, almost lost my hair there ...)

But yeah, that's just my opinion ^^
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Hiram

Post by Hiram »

For now, I see the tablet computer as a fascinating device.
I am not maybe not yet impressed! :!:

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I don't really find table any more useful then an ipod to be honest... maybe it's a bit easier to read the screen, but its got the same functionality; which is not functional enough for me I'm afraid.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

Broken Angel

Post by Broken Angel »

I would like to go for a Laptop Computer if asked.

1. Point taken about the Programming thing I also feel that having a Keyboard makes it easier and faster to type things.

2. At times the screen might stop working or else the CTRL and ALT keys are a head ache when your using a touch screen.

3. I live in a hot country so I sweat a lot in the summers, when I talk over the phone it gets wet and as a result the screen wont work anymore. I know this is not relevant with the Tablets but I have seen people sticking it to their ears and talking ](*,)

4. About the reading screen thing I think laptops have bigger screen as compared to the tablets so the font size is also an advantage for the laptops.

5. Portability with a Tablet gets bad, have an 10 inch device fit inside your pocket (won't happen) or try using a bag to carry it (well the bag makes you feel bulky), on the other hand with a lappy you carry a bag and thats that.

*thumb*
God Blessed Me With Forgiveness And I Forgive You With My Revenge...!

-Broken Angel

Hiram

Post by Hiram »

Broken Angel wrote: 3. I live in a hot country so I sweat a lot in the summers, when I talk over the phone it gets wet and as a result the screen wont work anymore. I know this is not relevant with the Tablets but I have seen people sticking it to their ears and talking ](*,)
Indeed; I have also witnessed a proud guy making phone calls with such a device.
Where is the portability here?
This World, this Universe, belongs to All in it;
you just have to know exactly where you belong!!!

Broken Angel

Post by Broken Angel »

Hiram wrote:
Broken Angel wrote: 3. I live in a hot country so I sweat a lot in the summers, when I talk over the phone it gets wet and as a result the screen wont work anymore. I know this is not relevant with the Tablets but I have seen people sticking it to their ears and talking ](*,)
Indeed; I have also witnessed a proud guy making phone calls with such a device.
Where is the portability here?
Well you can't carry it in your pockets that's for sure, also you can't wear a stupid Coat all the time which might have a pocket on the inside for things like this....! When come think of it it's more like an Electronic Paper Weight that can read office documents and yeah videos :mrgreen: (Don't ask what videos I watch on it :-#)

P.S. Does Naughty America has good Sunny Leone and also Sativa Rose? :oops:
God Blessed Me With Forgiveness And I Forgive You With My Revenge...!

-Broken Angel

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

tablets on their own, cant do a lot, except for surfing, email, games, and some apps. But saying that its not for advanced users is not true.

I own an ipad and i simply love it, but for me apart from the things mentioned above it does a lot more.

1. Reading - i love to read a lot, and its almost a habit for me to read before i go to bed, i have an Amazon Kindle touch, but for some reason i like reading books on ipad more, its more intuitive and bigger and has a backlight(As i read in dim light). Also if i had paperback versions of those books, on an average those would be 600+ pages long, so you can imagine. i can just put ipad on my chest while leaning partially on bed. Surfing isnt too bad, actually more intuitive if you arent typing a lot.

2. Streaming Media - space is no issue for me, i stream everything, i have my own media server setup, i usually stream Hidef movies/TV shows, if you keep it close to you while watching, with decent pair of headphones, it beats bigger TVs at night.

3. Other "fun" stuff - install issh, and in my case i can control my whole home. i have also used ipad to run gdb.

Having an on-screen keyboard is a major inconvenience(which can be fixed by getting a bluetooth one), but the mobility it provides me is totally worth it for me. But that's just me, its really about personal preference.

And there are always ways to get more from your devices than it has to offer, ofcourse you wont find everyone talking about it, after all this is what hacker spirit is all about..

also check out http://tacticalpants.com/news/the-perfe ... ts-pocket/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hiram

Post by Hiram »

Wearing tactical pants for carrying iPads makes someone look like
a U.S. marine. A bulky outfit.

Image Image Image Image
This World, this Universe, belongs to All in it;
you just have to know exactly where you belong!!!