I need a good firewall

Problems? Post here...
Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

I need a good firewall

Post by Gogeta70 »

Hey guys, so i'm looking for a firewall. Whenever i needed a firewall before, it's always been sygate personal firewall - but they got bought up by symantec (fuckers) and now i won't touch it with a 10-foot shit-stick. That, and the old version only works on 32-bit machines :(. Usually, i went without a firewall since i was behind my home router, but things have changed.

So here's what i'm looking for: lightweight, non-intrusive, and no extra bells and whistles. I want a firewall, not a fucking security suite - which so many "firewalls" are now >_<

Specifically, i want to be able to set it to default deny/accept all connections, and create custom rules for applications, IP's, ports, etc.

So whatcha guys recommend?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: I need a good firewall

Post by ayu »

Windows firewall?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

I actually agree with cats

Windows Firewall on a patched system should be pretty decent. But if you want to do some configuring then maybe an IPTables style firewall for Windows :-)

http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/outils/pktfilter/

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Sorry for the short answer before, I was in a hurry so it's not like I was trying to be sarcastic or anything xD

But yeah, the Windows firewall in Windows 7 is actually pretty good :)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bubzuru
.net coder
.net coder

Post by bubzuru »

i like zone alarm.
try ZoneAlarm® Free Firewall

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us ... rewall.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[img]http://www.slackware.com/~msimons/slackware/grfx/shared/greymtlSW.jpg[/img]

z3r0aCc3Ss
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

ZoneAlarm is shit.

Go for comodo firewall. Its free and as far as I know, its perfect solution for anyone.
The only thing is you have to configure it as per your needs.
You fail even in single crucial thing, you may not access the internet. So, only difficult part is the configuration.
Rest is as smooth as butter.
Takes very low memory.
Its a packet level filtering firewall, so you can keep an eye on each single packet that is traveling. (It's not the case with ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm is application level firewall).
I am using COMODO since past 4 years (WITH NO ANTIVIRUS), and trust me, its the best I have got till date. If you wanna buy the COMODO internet security (with AV), it'll cost you just $4.99 a year.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Really? Windows firewall? O_O

Windows XP's firewall was crap, i guess they improved it a lot for windows 7. To be honest, i've noticed a lot of new things in windows 7 that i've liked, mainly that microsoft has really taken a likeness toward system security in windows(UAC is still annoying though lol).

Well alright then, i'll turn windows firewall back on. ^_^

Bubzuru: I've tried zonealarm before, it's just got too much crap along with it. Anti-spyware? In a firewall? I'll stick with Spybot S&D ^_^

z3r0: I've actually tried Comodo recently and for some reason or another, it fucked my system up. Maybe it was just a bad configuration, but either way, it really put me off.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions ^_^

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, I'm thinking about trying Comodo again. Windows firewall just makes too many decisions for me :/

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

I liked Comodo while I was using it, but that was some time ago. Now I just lost any care about my Windows system. :D

bubzuru
.net coder
.net coder

Post by bubzuru »

you can get just the firewall from zone alarm , i like it .
each to there own i guess :)
[img]http://www.slackware.com/~msimons/slackware/grfx/shared/greymtlSW.jpg[/img]

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I agree with zero with using comodo, i have been using it and installing it on customers pc's for a few years now and only had a few issues because of them messing with the settings.

I used to use zonealarm but that was quite a few years ago now.
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com