Ipad

No, not for "Mack daddies"...for Apple users...^^
floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Ipad

Post by floodhound2 »

Yes, I got an ipad and this thing rocks. My only issue at the moment is not being able to write apps on the ipad. I am not going to let that bother me as I am already hacking this thing.

Anyone else like or dislike the ipad 3? *thumb*
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Ipad

Post by ayu »

I hate everything related to Apple :)

So yes, I dislike the iPad ^^

One of the reasons is the one you mentioned, that it's hard to write apps for it.
A very closed device.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

sorry, but hate for Apple from me too... :lol:
not in a technical way, I have never even held an ipad in my hands, I am sure it makes a sweet device for media and fun....but the Apple philosophy really annoys me, they take a lot of benefits from the Linux community and turn it into something that is even more anal about copyrights and user restrictions than Microsoft.

how about a review? :D

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Okay you guys are right to some degree. I also had the same feeling / ideas about an Apple product, but I got to admit times are changing.

I am still not an Apple fan however this is changing I think. Allow me to elaborate my experience with the iPad and the Apple people.

I walked into an Apple store here in good-ole downtown Spokane WA. The people were way super friendly and not as snobbish as I was expecting. Trust me when I say, I had my guard up being a long time IBM user. I sported my homeless looking beard and faded suck-o t-shirt and well they did not give a shit! The workers were super cool and answered all my tech-questions being honest on all fronts. I know this because some of my questions were, well, intentional traps if you will.

I then bought 3 ipads and quickly gave 2 of them away to family. We all sat around for hours plucking, poking and cursing at this amazing device. I decided on the ipad 3 (Apple wont call it ipad 3 so) with HD LCD screen and 4G by Verizon and I mentioned cursing because noobs curse. Yes I am a noob on this Ipad but that also is changing quickly. Otherwise I am really happy with this device I wont get rid of my other machines yet as the ipad does have its limits.

Pros:
Portable
Battery life is sensational
The screen is magical, no questions here. Amazing LCD take my word for it.
I can use it like a cell phone, but average user wont know how to do this.
I use a Bluetooth head set for hand free phone calls while driving.
A quick system, almost like an embedded device.
Small enough to take places and big enough to watch movies
Lots of apps that are cool
No contract for the data plan
2 cameras
Easy to learn op-system as my son can work it and he is almost 3
Connects to cell or wi-fi so easy it makes a IBM laptop look stupid.
Switch from Cell or wifi to conserve cell data consumption
Only $20 for Verizon / month, good by Comcast ($70 a month)
If battery wont work after 2 years or so you get a new ipad.
14 day trial period to see if you like it.
1 year tech phone service, I did in fact call Apple and guess what? American guy with no flow chart he was figuring this shit out with me like a true tech! Hey, (no offense people from India) its just that if you want true Mexican food then you have to eat in Mexico, right?
Accelerometer
Magnetometer
Gyroscope
GPS without any wireless connection! So ill never get lost.
Ambient light sensor.

Cons:
No programming apps using the ipad, this is a huge problem for me.
Need a mac to make apps, wtf.
1 speaker, last time I checked this is the 21 century.
No ports, as in no USB, limited flash drives, no external HDD.
The touch screen is sometimes dumb, false positives etc.
Kind of heavy
One of the 2 cameras is not so good.
$650 each, could built a decent tower for that kind of cash.

Otherwise ask me questions and ill do my best to answer in a non-bias fashion. I am figuring out ways to hack this thing too. Already I have an idea of how to access the port and make it talk to other devices, but this is going to require me to design a PCB to make it happen. Remember no drivers so outside the box thinking is what its going to take, but that's hacking right? Hell give me time and ill hack this bitch into the next version. I am thinking positive here so don't hold me to it. *thumb*
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Well, personally I would have gone with

Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201

Code: Select all

http://www.asus.se/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_Prime_TF201/
or

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Code: Select all

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxytab2/10.1/index.html?type=find
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

I have an ipad 3 too(the new ipad), and i would say, i love it.

It makes sense why you guys hate apple products, they are in a way control freaks, they control/curate their products, app store etc.

We people like to tinker around with things, we have this hacker tendency to perfect everything or customize it as per our own needs, to make normal things do, what they arent supposed to.

Apple products are not aimed at users like us.. they are aimed at mass consumer base, who want things to just work, without worrying too much about customizations.

If i view it as a computing device.. yeah it sucks, but i appreciate its art form, the elegance.

Sure apple creates way too much hype about simple things, but it does try to innovate.. sometimes it brings out something interesting, sometimes not.

My primary use for ipad is my book collection, i can hundreds of 800 pages books, my books are my treasured possessions and i love to have them at one place and with bookmarks, highlights and stuff, its super convenient for referencing, and its ofcourse lighter than holding a 1000 page book.

With that being set, its also the aesthetics, they are shiny.. i dont know about others buy i like shiny. Besides with my home network.. i can stream anything anywhere and with the right apps.. i can stream my whole library of music movies etc.

Ofcourse it is also useful to check email on the move and other social things. I know my phone could do most of that.. but personally i have never really liked checking my mails on my phone's tiny screen.

I guess i have an affinity towards apple not because they are awesomely engineered products.. but being an art lover as well, it appeals to my art side. But meh, i look at programming as an art too.. understanding and manipulating things is an art as well, i believe hackers are artists of binary world.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Okay a update, for what it's worth.

Time of ownership can be determined from thread dates

I still like it. I do think the ipad has issues and I can see room for improvement but everything else trumps these issues.

1. On screen typing kind of sucks only because there are no navigation arrows.

2. Safari just sucks, I am still using it just for science but I see chrome on the horizon.

3. I get a lot of false positives while reading. Most of this is caused by the slim edges and I having large thumbs.

4. Still can't make an app using the ipad.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ