Bypass a proxy server

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
7H3_@55@51N

Bypass a proxy server

Post by 7H3_@55@51N »

How to bypass a proxy server(squid) remotely ?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Bypass a proxy server

Post by ayu »

Well the only "normal" way really is if the administrator was sleeping when the server was configured, and managed to give people access to the web server from outside of the server/network.
That is, if the proxy/cache server is accessed through port 80, the web server could be configured to be accessed on port 8080 or something like that.
But the normal approach is to block access to the web server from the outside, forward port 80 to the cache server and then configure the cache to grab the data from the server locally on the network on port 80 (or whatever else is configured, but there's no reason to do it any other way).

Other possible ways would be to exploit it somehow, or to break into the server and change the settings, or threaten the administrator and make him/her do it for you, but that's ill-advised.

Oh, and assassin is spelled with two "s" at the end, just thought I'd mention it.

Happy hacking!
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

7H3_@55@51N

Post by 7H3_@55@51N »

Isnt there any way to take control of the system by using some virus(trojan) and then changing the settings so that i get direct access thus bypassing proxy.
but as we know, squid runs on linux. so trojan wont do any good. #-o

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

7H3_@55@51N wrote:Isnt there any way to take control of the system by using some virus(trojan) and then changing the settings so that i get direct access thus bypassing proxy.
but as we know, squid runs on linux. so trojan wont do any good. #-o
* Yes, there are always ways to take control of the system.

* squid is available for most popular systems, even Windows

* The concept of a trojan is not limited to systems like Windows or Mac, it would work on a machine running Linux as well

7H3_@55@51N

Post by 7H3_@55@51N »

ok cats. so where must i start ? :) point me to some software to do it..
and now i am confused.. how to find if the server running on windows or linux ?? :-k

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

7H3_@55@51N wrote:ok cats. so where must i start ? :) point me to some software to do it..
and now i am confused.. how to find if the server running on windows or linux ?? :-k
The questions you are asking have very broad answers.
What you want to do is not just "1,2,3 ... DONE!", you are asking things that usually takes years of education to accomplish.

1: If you want to "break in" to a server (which I don't recommend), I suggest that you set up a server of your own at home, and then start reading about computer software vulnerabilities and their exploits. You can start with SQL Injections just for the heck of it.

2: To determine what operating system a server is running you have to fingerprint it somehow.
Fingerprinting can be done in a few different ways, but an easy way to start is to have "nmap" (Google it) do it for you.

If you are interested in computer security, then I recommend you to read this book:

Code: Select all

http://www.amazon.com/Security-Computing-Edition-Charles-Pfleeger/dp/0132390779/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349384934&sr=8-1&keywords=security+in+computing
I bought that book in the US, and I really enjoy it and recommend it.

Have fun!