Encrypting 4 TB

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Ra1ncl0ud
forum buddy
forum buddy

Encrypting 4 TB

Post by Ra1ncl0ud »

Hi , I bought a portable 4TB a while ago and using truecrypt to crypt the entire drive, too paranoid or just being careful. Any way I decided to do that because of reading a book name kingpin (hacking story book) ,what I am asking essentially is that with a kind loooonnng password will it be secure enough in general terms because I read somewhere that the password is temporarily stored in the ram, but does not survive a reboot.. any thoughts.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Encrypting 4 TB

Post by bad_brain »

you don't have to go insane with the password length and pick a ridiculously long one, 20 digits is enough (if you pick an alpha-numeric-symbol-space one).
and yes, every keyboard input should be stored in RAM until the address space is overwritten or the system is rebooted. that IS a risk, but a VERY small one because the analysis would have to be done on the running system by dumping the RAM, or, if you pulled the plug when the "feds kicked the door in", a technician would have to open the case, pull the modules out, and put them into liquid nitrogen to slow the electrons down from diffusing in the circuits, and then rush with it to a specialized crime lab to dump the still available data there.

so if you are not considering to hack the CIA, downloading all their data, and putting a pic of a big boobed naked granny on their homepage it's VERY unlikely such a thing will happen... :lol:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Encrypting 4 TB

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:so if you are not considering to hack the CIA, downloading all their data, and putting a pic of a big boobed naked granny on their homepage it's VERY unlikely such a thing will happen... :lol:

That's actually not a very bad idea, will write that down.

Anyway, for truecrypt purposes I use passwords of at least 36 chars (0-9, a-z, A-Z).
Everyone has their own systems on how to remember passwords of that length and beyond, you will have to invent yours :)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"