ideas for senior project

...let us know what you think, free speech!
l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

ideas for senior project

Post by l0ngb1t »

so i am about to graduate (computer communication) and i started to prepare for my senior project, however i am trying to find a nice topic for the project anything related to networking technologies and "security"... something good neough for a senior project...

any ideas guys ?
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: ideas for senior project

Post by ayu »

Well, something I've been working on is security in a wireless network.
For example, if someone manages to get the password for the wifi and spoofes his MAC address to be an address that "belongs" to the network (as in, locking to MAC wont work).
How would one protect against this?

My idea at the moment is to have every "legit" client have a special program that has to authenticate itself against a local server.
Every network that has this needs a login for each client and a private/public key model to make sure that someone can't just "download the program" and then login.
Of course if someone can steal the keys and login from one of the machines, then they can enter, but it adds a pretty strong extra layer of security to a normal home network.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"