Online jobs

...let us know what you think, free speech!
ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Online jobs

Post by ph0bYx »

So, I'm planning to enroll into a pretty good graduate college in a neighbor country. I can probably get in and study for free but the problem will be the living expenses. I was planning on finding a student job there but turns out it's nearly impossible for foreign students to get one because of a lot of paperwork. So the only options I have is either to find something illegal to work (not illegal as in drug dealings and such, but legitimate work without paperwork) or finding an online job.

Knowing my luck, if I work illegally there I'll wind up in jail the second day, so only working online could work. So I'm kindly asking for some advice about that. Do you think that freelance work could work for me and does anyone have any experience in it? Or should I try and contact online businesses and ask them for work (for 10-20% of the pay, since I probably won't be needing more and this would increase my chances of actually getting something). Or something else? What would you do if you're in my position, please be honest.

Also what kind of stuff should I learn, web development, app development? I did start to learn about computer security but I doubt I'll get a job there in the next few months so that goes down the toilet.

Ok, that's all I can think for now. Ever since I found out that I won't be able to get a job there I got under ridiculous stress, but I guess that's life, eh? :D

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Online jobs

Post by bad_brain »

well, freelancing is a good way to start in order to get some initial customers. "word of mouth" by being recommended is always the best, and it works better than regular advertising...simply because there are so many other advertisers, and most of them are bloody amateurs, so people trust someone way more when a friend of them gave a recommendation.
what to focus on of course depends on your skills, I know you are a good web developer so imo creating sites should be at least one of your main focuses. of course I can provide you hosting and domain registration with a reseller deal....people usually like it to get all out of one hand, and hosting is a good way to get a recurring income.

mobile apps should be a good way to make money too, there seems to be a huge market for it....but I can not really recommend something in this direction, simply because I am not much of a mobile user.

focusing on security jobs sounds nice at first, because it's "hacky" fun and also very interesting, but honestly speaking there is not much money to make with it. you get tiny jobs from private people ("I have a virus on my Windows 98!"), companies would never hire someone without a pile of silly certificates or at least a very impressing portfolio.
knowing about security is of course always good!

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Online jobs

Post by ph0bYx »

Yup, I figured that web related stuff would be the way to go, since I have a little experience in it and there's always someone who needs a website :D
Thanks for answering! :)