Thermoplastic elastomer tire tubes

Show off with your scars! ^^
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Thermoplastic elastomer tire tubes

Post by bad_brain »

yay! good old mr. postman just delivered my new tire tubes! :D
those are "EFT" ones from FOSS, the tubes have been one of the highlights on the 2012 Taipeh international bicycle show.

"pfft....simple tire tubes...how interesting...not" you might say now... :lol: but hey, those tubes ARE kinda interesting because they are unusual and unique because they follow a different concept than the usual tubes. standard tubes are made of vulcanized rubber, there are also lightweight ones made of either latex or butyl, but the ones I got are made of TPE (thermoplastic elastomer).

you can already tell the difference by the look:

yeup..they are transparent! now I just need also transparent tires, then everyone can see! :lol:
nah, the actual reason why I am gonna test those tubes is that they are 33% lighter than rubber tubes, but without the "look at me too hard an I will go flat" issues of the latex- or butyl- lightweight tubes (those are also not really made for the dimensions of the fat tires I use).
they seem to have even a way better puncture protection than thick and heavy rubber tubes because the material is not expanding when the tire is inflated, so there is no surface tension which makes a puncture hole open wider than the object that punctured it. because of that the object puncturing the tube is enclosed so no (or just a little) air loss appears. ok, that's what FOSS (the manufacturer) says, time will tell how well that works IRL.

the only downside is (besides the price, which is 3 times the one of a standard tube) the mounting which needs more work and you obviously have to pay a lot more attention during the process because the tube (and the included rim tape) have a defined movement direction, the tube is also glued to the rim tape, so you can not fiddle it a little back and forth anymore after you mounted the tire when you haven't worked that precisely at the start.
one point in the manual sounds a bit wrong and could be misunderstood:
:lol: :lol:

due to the glue method the valve comes without a thread which gives it a pretty cool look:

I also got the special patches for the tubes which work like simple stickers:

:)

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Re: Thermoplastic elastomer tire tubes

Post by pseudo_opcode »

nice..
and FOSS? 8O
Free and Open Source Software?

bad_brain
Site Owner