AHCI mode mounts drives as "removable"?

Problems? Post here...
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

AHCI mode mounts drives as "removable"?

Post by bad_brain »

yay! got my first SSD today (Samsung 840 Pro, 120 GB), everything went fine...used Clonezilla to mirror the OS drive, and after a little registry hack Win7 also loads the AHCI driver, so I can make use of the max. possible performance (and I love it, really fast!).

just wondering about one thing: when using AHCI mode all HDDs appear as "removable drives" (just like USB ones) in the taskbar. is this normal behavior? :-k

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: AHCI mode mounts drives as "removable"?

Post by ayu »

Hmmm never seen that behaviour before =/

Wouldn't it have been better if you had reinstalled the OS instead on the new one?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, of course it would have been the best, but after I had lost a whole weekend because of the HDD problems work was piling up already so I didn't wanted to lose another day with another Win7 install....right after I finally had the last install all set up (you know, with all the programs and all those little adjustments that need much more time than the actual install).

it's causing no problems as far as I can see, just the little annoying USB icon in the taskbar all the time....so I will use it for now until I have some spare time to do a new install from scratch (which means: actually never, but something will force me to anyway :lol: ).

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

wohoo! found a fix! \:D/

obviously the reason was (luckily) not a problem caused by the cloning, it seems some SATA/AHCI controllers simply behave that way.
the fix is done in the registry, which worked fine for me:

http://www.overclock.net/t/974023/fix-a ... e-hardware" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

ah nice! :D
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"