Android phone - email fetching frequency

Phone stuff....
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Android phone - email fetching frequency

Post by bad_brain »

hey guys... :wink:

I am considering getting a 2nd phone for business purposes only, the main reason is that email options on my trusty Nokia 6303 Classic are a bit limited and I can't set the "look for new mails" frequency not lower than every 30 minutes.

so, my question: what options do you have in that context on Android? :-k

reparto
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: Android phone - email fetching frequency

Post by reparto »

Aside from push mail, i think you can set it to never (manual checks), 15, 30 minutes, every hour, 6 hours, 12 hours and daily. I think the idea is that if you need better than 15 minutes then its best to use push mail.

If you are worried about routers tracking your mac address you can use a mac spoofer, but you will need to root.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

push mail would need some additional config on my mail server, and I rather not fiddle around with it when dozens (or even a few hundred) of customer accounts are effected at the same time....and I would never want to use 3rd party mail services like gmail just because they support it.
hmm...I might check how Win 8 phones handle that, to be honest the only reason why I peeked at Android was my hope that you can freely set the frequency there, when that's not possible then I will most likely stick with Nokia. :-k

reparto

Post by reparto »

I think these settings are the default settings I am sure its possible to change it by code but I have no idea if someone has made an app for it. I suppose you could try and set it up as a cron job after rooting if cron is available that is.

Edit:
http://www.imoseyon.com/2011/02/cron-on ... esome.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cron is available apparently
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm...thanks, good idea with the cronjob, because 15 minutes would be already too long in urgent cases ("MY SITE IS DOWN!!! HELP!!!" :lol: ), so I best want to have my usual 3 minutes like on all my computers.. :)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

The default Email app for my Galaxy S4 has an "advanced schedule" option, where I can either just set it to "5,10,20,30,40,50,60" minutes, or set it manually to exactly when ut shoukd fetch, during which hours of the days, which days and so on.

But there are many email apps for Android, and some that are considered a lot better than the default one :)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ok, thanks! :D
the S4 is a bit on the pricey side though, especially because I don't want to buy it bundled with a contract...it's about 650 Euro here then.
I had the S3, the S4 Mini, and the Sony Xperia T on my list for android phones, but after thinking about it over and over again (and a couple of "nah" moments when about to press the "order" button already :lol: ) I decided for a....erm...Windows phone...*duck and cover*

I am simply a brand fetishist and that's why I decided to stick with Nokia (ordered a Lumia 620): http://www.trustedreviews.com/nokia-lum ... one_review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

reparto

Post by reparto »

bad_brain wrote: I decided for a....erm...Windows phone...*duck and cover*
I have been told its somewhere between iOS and Android so it can't be that bad
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, honestly speaking I dislike the Android UI and I dislike Apple products even more, together with the good experiences I made with my former Nokia phones (using a 6303 classic at the moment) it was actually the logic decision. and ok, I am also a friend of the Nokia design.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

there you go....my new phone arrived today, as mentioned it's a Nokia Lumia 620.
so far I like it a lot! really nice design, slick but minimalistic...exactly how I like it. :D

just ran into some problems with establishing a connection to my netgear router, always got a "invalid password" response (seems to be a known issue with Windows 8 phones)...tried it with another router where it worked fine then.

also had a bit of adventure when cutting my SIM card from standard to "mini" with a scalpel, but I am proud to announce I can keep my phone number.. :lol:

installed a few apps so far and fiddled a bit with the UI....oh, and the min. time between fetching mails is 15 minutes. not perfect but still better than the 30 minutes on the 6303 Classic.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

A little late, but there is a 3rd party Android App called K-9 Mail which allows for polling ever 1 minute at the low end. I'm sure there is a Windows Phone mail app that will do the same thing. My wife has a Lumina, so I'll ask her in the morning what she uses.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

oh, sweet, that would be great, because I had no time at all yet to really look for good apps in that context... :D

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

I used to use K-9 Mail some time ago, it's pretty good, don't know about the available update frequencies though. The reason why I stopped using it is because I needed more space on my phone so I switched to the built-in mail app.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm...yesterday I had a little time to look around, and: there are no email clients for Win8 phones other than the default one. ...at least I found none. 8-[
not really a problem, because the 15 minutes are still ok for me....ended up with installing some other apps though, one is a tracker especially for biking which uses GPS to create a map of the ride, including top/average speed and lots of other stats...might check it out later today... :D
also installed a remote access app for my home computer, which (so they say) enables the use of any program on the remote host, which would be especially interesting in context with managing the servers from the phone. will give it a quick test soon, and if it turns out to be a decent app I will afford an extra option which encrypts the traffic. it's available for any phone OS flavors: http://www.splashtop.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Wow, no email client apps for Win8 phones? I smell an opportunity for profit there, *wink* *wink* app devs in the house :)