SSL certificate validation

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

SSL certificate validation

Post by l0ngb1t »

a quick a question...
what would happen if your browser, for some reason, was unable to contact a CA to validate a certain ssl certificate? will simply display the usual warning we get when we face an invalidated certificate or something else... trying to know what will happen that case in particular.
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: SSL certificate validation

Post by bad_brain »

it shouldn't matter, because (if I am not totally wrong, and I am 99.9% sure I am not) there is no contact made to the CA when you load the site....all it needs for the certificate to be labeled as valid is to have the CA listed as trusted in your browser specs. :wink:

l0ngb1t

Post by l0ngb1t »

i guess you are right.

Thanks B_B
There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, I mean, it would cause an EXTREME traffic for the big CAs if all sites they signed certs for would cause a request whenever they are visited.....they store the certs, but that's only if you are not sure a visited site is really legit so you can compare their cert with the official one stored at the CA.

and no problem... :wink: