why it takes a whole day to make a HDD work >.<

Our very own fight club!
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

why it takes a whole day to make a HDD work >.<

Post by bad_brain »

oook....I got a 3 TB HDD today because my external HDDs I use for my WD Media Player to watch movies on TV were both full. so my plan was to replace one of the 1 TB HDDs in the WD Mybook externals with the new 3 TB Seagate I got, then use the 1 TB one internally for my file backups.

sounds easy, right? nope. wrong.

- I disassembled the WD Mybook, replaced the HDD, connected it to my computer so I can format it...and it wasn't even recognized at all.
- removed it again, connected it directly to the computer, which worked, had to use the GPT format because of the 2 TB limit.
- put it into the WD Mybook again, and: nothing.
- removed the HDD again, connected it to the computer, used MBR format this time.
- put it into the WD Mybook, and: nothing.
- updated the firmware for the WD Mybook: yay! drive is recognized.....as CD drive. trying to access it gives me a "drive is busy" error message.
- installed WD SmartWare, the WD Mybook is shown as "locked" because of "too many failed password attempts". erm...what? trying to erase the drive from there for a fresh start gave me "drive busy" error message again.
- grabbed a machete, went out and killed a bunch of people.
- ok, j/k...but almost. went to the shop and got an external HDD case because it obviously was a problem with the WD Mybook in context with the Seagate HDD.
- back home. installed everything, and: works! at least for the computer. not for the WD Media Player...it obviously has a 2 TB limit (at least that's what I assume), strange thing is that is also doesn't work with MBR format which results in a 2 TB partition.
- went out, killed some more people.
- oook...again, j/k.

sooo....now I will move the 3 TB external as backup drive (instead of the 1 TB one), and use the 1 TB one (instead of the 3 TB one) as additional drive for my movies.
what a day... ](*,) :lol:

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Re: why it takes a whole day to make a HDD work >.<

Post by maboroshi »

Sounds like it was a lot of work with not the result you wanted. Still when challenges like that appear they are always fun, once you get passed the being annoyed part.

:-)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: why it takes a whole day to make a HDD work >.<

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, quite annoying but I also like challenges and when having to improvise....it might not have worked out as actually planned but I still have 1 TB free space for new movies, plus I have a pretty cool HDD case:

the other 2 externals went below the TV into the small cupboard now: