[REVIEW] Razer Ouroboros mouse

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

[REVIEW] Razer Ouroboros mouse

Post by bad_brain »

as I have mentioned in another thread I have bought the Ouroboros mouse from Razer a few weeks ago, so now it's time for a review.

first the general specs:
- up to 8200 dpi dual-laser
- 8 programmable buttons (oook, they say 11, but left/mid/right button does not really count imo)
- 1000MHz polling with 1ms response time
- built-in 32bit ARM processor
- ~ $ 150

the look
the mouse comes with 2 sets of side-pieces with and without finger rests:

of course you can mix the side pieces so you have a rest only on one side. what I really like about them is the nifty attachment technology by magnets, no fiddling around with tools or having to be scared tiny plastic pieces might break off after a while...and if you feel the urge to change during gaming (for what reason ever) it's done in 2 seconds:

the Ouroboros has some illumination features, but luckily they are pretty subtle and limited to the mouse wheel and 2 stripes on the sides, the illumination intensity can be regulated (or turned off completely) through the Razer software:

the features
when you look around in the shelf of your friendly neighborhood electronics market the Razer Ouroboros will definitely jump right into your eye because the package is quite over the top...still pretty cool though: a huge acrylic glass box where the mouse is presented sitting on some pedestal, like an art object, all the extras are hidden in the bottom of the box. speaking of the extras coming with the mouse...there aren't many:
- 2 sets of side pieces
- the (high quality) wire
- the charging station
- the receiver
- 2 stickers
that's it. no driver CD, Windows will of course recognize the mouse but to make full use of it you will have to download software from Razer...which brings me to one, maybe the only, point I don't like: in order to use the mouse properly, which means adjusting the settings, assigning buttons, etc., you will have to create an account at Razer and the settings are stored in the Razer cloud server...they can not be saved locally! :roll:

the mouse can be used with and without the wire btw! so if you really need the last nanosecond of response time you can simply clip out the wire from the charging dock and attach it to the mouse. the wire should be long enough for every halfway normal system setup, even when the computer is not right under the desk (like on my setup).

user experience
I have been using a Logitech Revolution MX mouse for long years now, and I actually liked it a lot, the only reason why I decided to try something new after my trusty Logitech mouse showed signs of decay was the fact that the new Revolution MX model has pretty bad reviews in context with the switch quality of the mouse buttons, and they (Logitech) also have removed the "half wheel" for the thumb which I liked a lot and replaced it with some silly buttons. the old MX model can still be found in a few shops, but they take total advantage of the fact that it's not built anymore...no way I am paying 250 bucks for a mouse.
compared to the Revolution MX the Ouroboros is very different, starting from the shape already, but now, after a few weeks, I am pretty much used to it, and I have to admit I like it, especially after I found out that using finger rests on both sides work best for me.

what I also like about the Razer is the fact that you can replace the battery if needed, it's using a standard AA cell. finding out where to put that battery after you got the new mouse is a bit of an Indiana Jones job though...even the manual is not really helping.
see the silver wheel thingy on the right? that's not it. you adjust the palm rest height with it. it's the thing around it which is also a button. you have to keep it pressed and move the whole back at the same time...then:
still don't see it? ok, there you go:

the back part, which acts as palm rest, can be adjusted in the length and in the height btw.

now, after I got used to the mouse, I can not say anything bad about it, neither for gaming- nor for everyday work-use. it works precisely, especially the buttons have a very defined and precise click-point. there are also buttons behind the side-pieces, but I found them not really useful at all and additionally I clicked them a couple of times by accident so I disabled them.

my final verdict for the Razer Ouroboros:
8/10
technical masterpiece, but the forced Razer cloud use for basic mouse functions is a no-go imo, which was a -1.5 points for me.

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: [REVIEW] Razer Ouroboros mouse

Post by ph0bYx »

I still think it's an overkill :)

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Not overkill at all. What was overkill was me spending 700 US on a BTC Miner :-)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well...it's surely something of the "what you don't REALLY need but still is cool to have" category. after all it IS a high-end gaming mouse, and only one of the few e-sports professionals could really justify the need for that mouse.
but then again: who really has only the hardware he REALLY needs? where does the overkill start? at more than 4 GB RAM? at a monitor bigger than 17 inch? or 23 inch? I think the point is what your preferences and standards are, but imo the interactive hardware is at least as important as the CPU or RAM, especially when you are working on a professional level you should never make compromises with the keyboard or the mouse. ok, a good Logitech mouse goes for half the price and would still satisfy professional needs, but that makes the Razer just some from of luxury instead of a real overkill imo... :-k

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Nice review :D

I think it looks awesome, but not sure it would be something for me.
I'm usually pretty simple with my mouse ^^
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

cats wrote:I'm usually pretty simple with my mouse ^^
you might be surprised now, but: me too!
the Ouroboros actually is a simple mouse, at least when you compare it with with the button orgies of other models, or the loooong feature lists of other high end gaming mice like the Mad Catz RAT 9 for example.
it was actually even one of the main reasons why I got THAT mouse, because I hate it when a mouse is trying to become some kind of substitute for the keyboard and you start to hit all kind of buttons accidentally then. the only extra functions I really want for my mouse are volume up/down and mute...I have that now on the Ouroboros (as I also did with the Revolution MX), and the few spare buttons left are not affecting the usability because I disabled them and because they are well placed and don't interfere in general. :)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote: you might be surprised now, but: me too!
the Ouroboros actually is a simple mouse, at least when you compare it with with the button orgies of other models, or the loooong feature lists of other high end gaming mice like the Mad Catz RAT 9 for example.
it was actually even one of the main reasons why I got THAT mouse, because I hate it when a mouse is trying to become some kind of substitute for the keyboard and you start to hit all kind of buttons accidentally then. the only extra functions I really want for my mouse are volume up/down and mute...I have that now on the Ouroboros (as I also did with the Revolution MX), and the few spare buttons left are not affecting the usability because I disabled them and because they are well placed and don't interfere in general. :)

hmm ok, sounds nice :o
I might have a look at it then, as I will need a new mouse soon I think.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

I just meant the look. The look of it is a bit overkill for me :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ph0bYx wrote:I just meant the look. The look of it is a bit overkill for me :)
ohhh...ok. :)
hmm...of course that's a matter of taste, actually it's a lot of "form follows function" and not THAT much shiny design bling-bling. for gaming mice the huge left/right mouse buttons are normal, and the gap in the middle is mostly caused by the adjustable back part (palm rest).
I find the Mad Catz mice much worse, they kinda look like you were fishing with a magnet in a box full of screws and dental braces.
but yeah, it's surely not what you could call a elegant understatement mouse for a representative manager desk full of Apple products... :lol:

@cats
I can really recommend it so far, not sure about the Linux support though, especially because you need the Razer software....will have to switch to Debian for the first time since I have the mouse later anyway, so I will let you know... :-k

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

[UPDATE]
ok, I have tested the mouse on Debian now, and as expected it ran on max. dpi by default....which is really hard to use (at least without a decent time to get used to it, and even then it might still be TOO sensitive for small menus).

setting the parameters manually via xset works fine though, I had no time to try it extensively yet but

Code: Select all

xset m 1/3 1
was pretty close to what I am using on Windows (3300 dpi), while the first value is the one for the mouse acceleration (1/3 of "default", while default is max. dpi), second value is for the threshold.