Windows 8 | Niggles | Trials | Tribulations

Problems? Post here...
computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Windows 8 | Niggles | Trials | Tribulations

Post by computathug »

Here i will post things that i find as i go along with using windows 8.1, i will also include a tut on how to dual boot windows 8.1 with debian when the system is locked to secure boot and the system boots from 'eufi' boot rather than 'legacy' as it looks like nobody has posted this yet.

The thread may get a little messy but i will tidy it up as i go along and can be separated into separate posts when i have finished.

Anyway here goes.
Windows 8.1
1) Set as default for allowing remote assist connections to this PC
Solution.
Point mouse to bottom right corner of the screen until the side bar shows with the options.
Click on 'settings', search for 'advanced', then click on 'view advanced system settings'.
Click 'Remote' and untick the box.
Image Image Image

Booting from CD/DVD/USB
This system comes with 'EUFI Boot' as default. To change this boot into the BIOS with F2, go to boot options and change the settings from 'EUFI' to 'Legacy'. This will work with two Linux distributions which support Secure Boot, Ubuntu 12.10 and Fedora 18.

Note that this will not let you boot into another distro such as 'Debian' just yet as windows 8 has something included called 'Secure Boot', We need to disable that first. Seems like windows doesn't want you to boot another system and has put this in place to protect against that although they say it is there for security to the boot sector only ... hmmmm.

More can be found on this issue here.
Thanks to Mary Jo Foley, we now know that in the name of "security," Microsoft will be trying to use UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) to block Linux, older versions of Windows, and other alternative operating systems from booting on Windows 8 PCs.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/m ... 8-pcs/9589" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you want to remove Windows completely it is safe to disable it completely, if you are going to dual boot, reading up, most people say you can re-enable it once you have installed both systems. One of the features of this is to protect malware installing itself to the boot sector and running on start up.

Ok I have run into a problem, my system does not have an option to disable secure boot in the BIOS, will report back when i find a work around. Its a Lenovo G505 if anyone has any idea's ](*,)

*EDIT*Well after no success and the lack of will to do anything from flu this project will continue in a few days......
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com