Anyone else getting excited about Ubuntu Phone/Tablets/TVs?

...let us know what you think, free speech!
maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Anyone else getting excited about Ubuntu Phone/Tablets/TVs?

Post by maboroshi »

As the question states is anyone else looking forward to these devices? I know I am :D

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Anyone else getting excited about Ubuntu Phone/Tablets/TVs?

Post by bad_brain »

well, yeah, it will be interesting to see if really the whole repositories will be supported or if there have to be some specific ones used especially for those devices.....especially in context with TV it will open some sweet opportunities like not needing an external media player anymore to be able to run all kinds of file formats... :-k

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

well - the new generation will never know how to build a box or rackmount - shit they will be typing with their thumbs while I use all my fingers.

But - new tech has its uses for the knowledgeable - I am following Android tools - Nexus 7 etc. That will be my next wardriver...

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

I agree, but if its a fully capable Linux system then I think that would open a ton of stuff for development in pretty much any area you can think of.

The future is and always will be open :D

reparto_temp
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by reparto_temp »

I was excited for ubuntu edge...
The idea of an ubuntu based mobile os doesn't excite as much as the usage depends more on the hardware

Tablets have a similar problem to phones, battery technology is so far behind that we are barely getting a day's worth of use out of our devices (i have high expectations for battery life... not saying that tablets are bad, it just sucks that i have keep charging it)

TVs are a really interesting area, smart tvs will open up a completely new market to online media, it will have to be accompanied by improved internet speeds and adoption of the VP9 codec (or some other efficient codec)

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Good point battery life seems to be a consistent problem with many devices. Would be nice to develop a different approach to batteries.

reparto_temp
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by reparto_temp »

There are some bleeding edge technologies... but the cost-performance is insanely high, we are more likely to see it in electric cars before we see it in phones. I remember reading that you could use capacitor technology to improve battery recharge times but i haven't seen anything on improving energy density.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

reparto_temp wrote:There are some bleeding edge technologies... but the cost-performance is insanely high, we are more likely to see it in electric cars before we see it in phones. I remember reading that you could use capacitor technology to improve battery recharge times but i haven't seen anything on improving energy density.
Electric cars hmmmmm, don't be suckered in with these, they might be better for the environment but at over 12 hours to recharge? Plus don't forget these batteries only have a certain life span also and the batteries are major expensive so there is no cost cutting.

If you are looking at something to save costs on motoring my friend in the UK has developed a system that runs your car on its usual fuel and input a hydrogen system in the air filter and this cuts costs down by at least half and has next to zero emitions. There is a video I have already posted here somewhere but if you want can not find it i will send you a link if you are interested *thumb*

Oh and by the way, they are fitted and passed by an MOT station and if you buy a new car they can be removed and installed on the new car. Unfortunately these have not been developed for motorbikes but something similar was built for them in Bali. I will get more info about these.
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

reparto_temp
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by reparto_temp »

computathug wrote:Electric cars hmmmmm, don't be suckered in with these, they might be better for the environment but at over 12 hours to recharge? Plus don't forget these batteries only have a certain life span also and the batteries are major expensive so there is no cost cutting.
I was talking about how improved batteries would go straight to electric cars which is true, in their current state its not great as you say but there is greater potential for improving the energy density of batteries than hydrogen (increased compression will increase costs super-exponentially)
computathug wrote: If you are looking at something to save costs on motoring my friend in the UK has developed a system that runs your car on its usual fuel and input a hydrogen system in the air filter and this cuts costs down by at least half and has next to zero emitions. There is a video I have already posted here somewhere but if you want can not find it i will send you a link if you are interested *thumb*
I actually developed something that takes hydrogen injection a stage further, it takes heat from the radiator or engine (you can choose how to mount it) and uses a TEG (thermo electric generator) to generate electricity which then electrolyses water to produce hydrogen and oxygen which are then injected with the fuel. So far it works on lawnmower engines but I can't get it to work on larger car engines because I can't afford a TEG that will support the higher temperatures and also the cheaper ones don't produce enough electricity to be significant so if i had a few grand to burn i should be able to mod a car to support it. I have written most of the paper on this but I need to wait for student loans to come in so I can finish collecting results.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Set up a website, make a few videos of how it works and get it on kickstarter or croudfunding, you might get a bit of luck *thumb*
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

reparto_temp
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by reparto_temp »

I don't have enough stuff to really do a pitch on kickstarter. And there are also other problems related to economic viability, scalability and component availability. Also, I don't intend to actually take this to market, if I can finish all the work in time I am going to sit on the patent and licence it out as I please.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

welcome reparto,

now I have been studying battery tech for a bit myself - DIY drones, body wearble computers, spy gear - all need batteries too. My money is on Mil or darpa to develop - or perfect the battery science. It seems it was only recent that 'they' figured out that batteries crack as it is used and gets old. So now they have several 'self-healing' batteries in tests. Also I have seen the range - batteries powered by hydrogen, microbes, piss. Every one is in the race to make the first smallest battery, with long lasting output, and cost effective..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.