What new languages to learn in 2014?

All about creating websites!
z3r0aCc3Ss
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

What new languages to learn in 2014?

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

Hi all,

It's 2014 now, and I am hoping to learn new languages and frameworks. I am in web development field. According to you people, what could be the right languages and frameworks? I am shortlisting following things:

1) NodeJS
2) RoR
3) CodeIgnitor
4) Jaidee (CSS framework)
5) Angular JS
6) Android App development
7) Phalcon
8) Laravel

I wanna master any 3 of the above for my better future. What rating you guys give to the above listing? Please help. I am confused. I get many opportunities for above things, but due to less exposure, I have to say NO to them, which is very disappointing for me.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Re: What new languages to learn in 2014?

Post by lilrofl »

It's not on your list but backbone.js works well with Node.js, and is very popular amongst the folk here so I would say Node... and I base that on nothing :)

[youtube][/youtube]
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

working on Android

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, everything with JS and CSS is definitely a good decision, also Android dev....both are still the big thing at the moment and heavily developed, so plenty of opportunities to learn for the next years and also plenty of opportunities to make some good bucks.

personally I want to get back into Perl again...for how many years am I saying this already btw? :lol: :roll:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Same here b_b, Perl for me as well :D
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

scatter

Post by scatter »

I d choose Android dev and nodeJs because both are gates to more other things, for example learning android dev can help you build android applications and sell them, also it will help understanding how android works and then android hacking can be easy especially that mobile is having alot of attention recently by security industry :) well that s my personal opinion only about how and why I choose a language instead of another ^_^

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

exactly - I study what will be commonly used, not necessarily the best OS or app to use.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Check out phonegap for mobile dev. I believe it uses node js (at least to install phonegap it comes as a plugin to node js) but essentially it uses a phones web kit allowing you to develop mobile apps using js/css/html. It even has plugins for in app purchases on iOS and various other things.

*cheers

scatter

Post by scatter »

Indeed as maboroshi Phonegap is good there is also Titanium almost same as Phonegap but in this case I think html5,CSS and js ...alone limit the options you want to make in the app.That s why I think Java as knowledge and eclipse IDE will be a good help in that :)

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

Thank you so much fellas...

All my favorite staff/friends answered this topic. :)

But, where's computathug? :P

Ohh, and btw, I have started off with Node JS. Finished it 50%. Today, I am starting CodeIgniter. (I am using Lynda, LiveLessons, and other tutorials for learning, as well as WROX ebooks. :) )
But, I know I won't get practical experience through this. But, at least, it will take me to the basics.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

z3r0aCc3Ss wrote:
1) NodeJS
2) RoR
3) CodeIgnitor
5) Angular JS
7) Phalcon
8) Laravel
None of those are languages. These are languages:

1. JavaScript
2. Ruby
3. PHP
4. CSS
5. JavaScript (well Angular is mostly JavaScript with some nomenclature to HTML)
6. Android SDK (which would probably have you writing Java or using some other tool + languages to compile natives for)
7. PHP
8. PHP

If you learn these languages. then you can use those frameworks (you can use any framework written for them). And then you use a framework that fits the job you're going to do.

For example, some hosts won't let you add new PHP extensions so Phalcon wouldn't be an option. Your host might be running PHP 5.0 or 5.3 and that would leave Laravel staring at you from a window under a facade. Your host might have PHP 5.5 and CodeIgniter may just be too outdated to consider future maintenance on your project.

There are so many different CSS frameworks if you find one you like make sure it has good documentation and is fairly supported by its creators. Base it on how it feels to work with and how easily you can override it....People use bootstrap because its simple as shit and looks fairly nice at default, there is also Foundation and Semantic UI which are two other very nice frameworks. All CSS frameworks will tought their simplicity and bestness too. (I have no idea how you came across a gem like Jaidee but from their shit documentation I felt like dragging ass across a velcro floor)

Anything with Node and Angular or Ember or the new hotness in JavaScript your going to not only be spending time learning the ins and outs of each strut and foundation and standard library and function, but you'll also be looking to enrich your workflow with automagical tools like Mimosa or Grunt (which btw is a huge lifesaver for many a thing), and celebrating because async programming is more fun than you expected and then throwing your keyboard out the window because your in callback hell.

Then after you learn all this, you have to learn to make sure your application is lean, and isn't bloated to shit with a bunch of crap you just threw together because it sounded cool.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

CommonStray wrote:
z3r0aCc3Ss wrote:
1) NodeJS
2) RoR
3) CodeIgnitor
5) Angular JS
7) Phalcon
8) Laravel
None of those are languages. These are languages:

1. JavaScript
2. Ruby
3. PHP
4. CSS
5. JavaScript (well Angular is mostly JavaScript with some nomenclature to HTML)
6. Android SDK (which would probably have you writing Java or using some other tool + languages to compile natives for)
7. PHP
8. PHP

If you learn these languages. then you can use those frameworks (you can use any framework written for them). And then you use a framework that fits the job you're going to do.
This is true. *sagenod

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

To add to this topic, why should you choose to learn any language at all?

Well, what do you want to do? Many here point out JavaScript being the next best thing, and it is great, server-side js is next, but it's still a thing.

The PHP community is far reaching, and many many many technologies are built on and around PHP. The last couple of years has seen a huge increase in changes to the core language in terms of OOP and these are largely beneficial. Then you have composer which adds fantastic dependency management, PSR for framework interop (standards so third party libs can be used in any framework instead of being locked to a certain one) has seen a lot of popularity. Want async in PHP like you do in Node, there is a lib (ReactPHP) that can do it, with fairly good comparison to Node. Don't discount the power of PHP, it's old as far as server-side web languages go, the community is huge, and it's come a long way. Plus it's not so difficult starting out with it.

JavaScript isn't new as far as web languages go either. As a matter of fact it was created almost a year later than PHP and has gained a huge following and is a very solid language. But JavaScript is a whole other beast. Unlike basic PHP, JavaScript is event driven. It's based on the idea that there are a bunch of things users do that cause events, like pushing buttons, typing keys, refreshing pages etc...that's why for a majority of it's lifetime it has been a mainly client-side language (running in your browser instead of on the server). Think of it this way, a PHP script, or page, is served by a web server, like Apache or Nginx, in other words, the output of a PHP script is the response you get when you visit it in the URL. Server side JavaScript, or Node to be precise, doesn't work like this. Instead Node produces AND serves the response. Node can serve PHP scripts, HTML, CSS, arbitrary JSON whatever.

So what do you do?

My advice. Pick a side for now. Choose either to develop primarily for/on the client, or primarily for/on the server. You're going to learn JavaScript regardless of which side you choose. And once you get a solid foundation and some experience in one or the other, jumping to the other is no big canyon to cross.

If you choose the server: PHP all the way. Why? Syntax style. It's C style syntax will let you grasp other strong languages written in similar or same styles down the road very fast (i.e. C++, Java, even JavaScript), it's also loosely typed which is a plus and minus as a beginner (you can make mistakes that don't cause a lot of problems, but you can as a result pick up some bad habits if you're not careful). There are a great handful of frameworks in PHP too (Laravel, Symphony, CodeIgniter, FuelPHP) to help you get things done faster, but they are no substitute for raw programming. Get familiar with setting up your own local development platforms, LAMP/WAMP stacks, learn SQL so you can easily run queries against ANY relational SQL database (e.g. MySQL, MariaDB, Postgres, MSSQL etc...).

If you choose the client: JavaScript, HTML5, and Design. Why? It's today. With front-end technologies your always looking for bleeding edge because your audience has decided it wants the fanciest shit in town. While business' tend to not update their browsers internally, people on the web want experiences, major browsers today push updates automatically because they want the web going forward - nobody wants to wait - and developers don't want to have to develop for legacy crap (I'm looking at you Microsoft). They want fast, they want nice. So learn HTML5 because its the newest standard. Learn CSS3 because it's the newest standard. Get familiar with each major browser, what they're doing, and how they're implementing experimental features before full releases. Browser makers implement experimental features all the time so when its standardized front-end developers and designers can start using it right away without having to catch up too much. Learn the in's and out's of the web on mobile devices. Get familiar with responsive design and why it's important now. Figure out how to leave the smallest footprint possible on mobile devices because resources there are much slimmer than on their not so mobile counterparts. Design is a language, but not a programming one; it is something you have to learn about these days. You need to understand typography(diff. between typeface styles, kerning, leading, tracking etc...), layout, color(e.g. RGB vs CMKY), usability, accessibility, units of measure(e.g. em vs px vs pt).

If you choose either:

1.) Learn about security first and foremost. Understand the difference between a session and a cookie, understand what auth tokens are and how they work. Understand the process behind authorizing people for an application and how to keep their information secure in the applications you build.

2.) Construct a workflow and put together tooling solutions. I've been a web developer for the better part of a decade, but I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for the set of tools I use. Get comfortable with TWO IDE's, one being a specific and one being a generic. For example, PHPStorm/WebStorm or Aptana for hardcore specific development in your languages of choice, and something like Notepad++ or SublimeText for generic quick editing of any kind of file. Get familiar with source code management, I wish I would have jumped on that train earlier, so I'm recommending it. Git is good, Git familiar with it. Github is awesome for public projects, but if you don't want to pay the subscription so you can have private projects check out BitBucket (Atlassian has a whole suite of other nice tool solutions too btw). If you don't want to use a hosted Git, host your own with GitLab. Don't make it a job deciding on what tools to use, find what tools make your job easier.

3.) Be involved. Be involved in communities, like this one, and others. I wouldn't be a web developer and designer if it wasn't for this community. I've known most of the staff for the better part of 10 years and a few staff you've probably never met yet. Everyone here has real world experience that you can hugely benefit from. Most of us have our specialties, but you'd be surprised what any of these folks can whip up outside of their own bubbles (A certain electronic engineer here threw together a fancy ass Flash audio player for me once, color me flooded with surprise). Get involved with an open source project, if only for a little bit. It doesn't have to be a big one, it doesn't have to be a small one, it only has to be one you like, that you feel good about contributing too. You can get a lot of real world, and thorough experience working on an open source project, and if you do it long enough it looks great on a resume/CV.