Stocks (Investing)

...let us know what you think, free speech!
TheScottyTurner
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Stocks (Investing)

Post by TheScottyTurner »

Anyone here fuck with stocks? I've been thinking about getting into it, never really knew where to start though....

I've decided to just jump in and dabble a bit.... It seems like the best way to learn.
I made an account on TradeKings last night... At first I just want to put some money into companies I like ( I know, stupid as hell lol) but like I said, I just want to you around a bit, before putting serious money into it....

I have a few ideas of what I'm looking to invest in, bit I would live to hear opinions..
I'm looking to hold on as long as I can, I just love the idea of owning part of a company lol....... As infinitely small as it may be lol

Just wanted to get a discussion about it going really...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Re: Stocks (Investing)

Post by DNR »

The best investment my dad made was when he asked me about google back in the early 1990's. I pointed out that google was building its own server farmers, cheaper technology, and war between search engines like yahoo, msn, was heating up over this 'new' marketing platform. The stock was about $32 at the time 8)

All other stocks were questionable, medical, technology, automotive, etc. ](*,)

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

TheScottyTurner
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by TheScottyTurner »

Very nice! Didn't google just hot $1000 a few months back? I hope he bought and kept them lol

As far as me, I plan on buying RFID (positive id, specifically), maybe a few different nanotech companies (too much metal gear, maybe?! Lol) and some data storage companies like sandisk.....

Could I get your opinion on that, DNR?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, on the stock market it's the bigger the risk the bigger the potential win...or loss. and also: the more money you have the more you can make. so the question is, especially when starting, how much patience you have and/or how much risk you are willing to take....because you can either make a little (but safe) money over a long time when you invest in the global players, or you can make a lot with highly speculative investments quick (or lose it all just as quick too).
if you are serious about it and don't just want to gamble a bit the best might be to invest in a fond with a wide spectrum of stocks and just a low to medium percentage of highly speculative papers in the portfolio.
another option, if you have a lot of time you can spend in front of the screen and you're not suffering from a high blood pressure, might be day trades....a lot of money to make there quick, but it's often a question of a few minutes if you win or lose.

for a very beginner the best might be to check the big investment fond and day trader websites, some offer "virtual stocks" where you can buy and sell in a sandbox simulation without any real money involved (but by using the real rates). that way you can see if you have some kind of talent and practice before you start playing with your real money.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Still has some stock after a sell off 9/11. *thumb*

I like the tech for commercial drones, tech for autopilot, GPS/beacon waypoints, optics and software like Gorgon Stare. While the funding will come from mil/gov, the applications will eventually be used commercially/privately. Not just flying drones, but ground vehicles and humanoids.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.