A question about M.A.C filtering.. :D

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
Thanatos
forum buddy
forum buddy

A question about M.A.C filtering.. :D

Post by Thanatos »

Guys i have a couple of question for you, is there any way to evade a router's MAC address filtering? do i need to spoof and make an MITM attack? :-k

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: A question about M.A.C filtering.. :D

Post by bad_brain »

well, when you successfully spoof a valid MAC then there would be no need for a MITM attack.
this would only work when the real system isn't active at the same time though (well, it might work still, but usually it should confuse the router in a way that no traffic will be routed anymore at all).
depending on the router model and its vulnerabilities ARP spoofing might be a 2nd option which would enable you to let the router resolve the real MAC into a new (your) IP address.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

What b_b said, but an addition is that you can try to de-authenticate the real client, spoof the MAC and then start the session.
Might be a bit glitchy since the other client will come back after a little while.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Thanatos
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Thanatos »

thanks for the advice guys. :D

i did some wifi attack and cracked our neighbors wifi pass, all i need is to evade the log detection.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Thanatos wrote: i did some wifi attack and cracked our neighbors wifi pass, all i need is to evade the log detection.
Be careful with admitting to crimes like that, since it IS still a crime ;)

Anyway, when it comes to logging on a home broadband routers 99% of the people don't even check it, and 99% of the routers don't even log correctly, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Thanatos
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Thanatos »

i'm just doing this not to commit acts like stealing creds... just educating myself :D

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

how are you avoiding the logs?

Usually you need to recode the firmware to present a false panel to the 'real' owner.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Thanatos wrote:i'm just doing this not to commit acts like stealing creds... just educating myself :D
That's like breaking into a house and then not stealing anything, for "educational purposes".
It wont hold in court.

I'm not saying that you are in trouble here, but you should think more about how you formulate yourself in the future, so that you don't admit to a serious crime on a platform where it can easily be connected to you, like on facebook or such :P

Thanatos
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Thanatos »

i already know that in future doing things like this, will turn me into prison.. :)

believe me or not, they didn't care so much on changing their pass, looking for logs and even changing the encryption type of their router :) so i conduct a meeting for them and talk about their Wireless network.

DNR, sir i have no idea of evading logs just asking if i can evade :D

after i scanned their security and network flaws, i reported it back to them so they can see.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

well two things make up your machine's footprint in a log -
the MAC and the browser information -
HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0

Both can be spoofed.

You understand that usually once you complete, or even attempt to associate/'login' to the wifi router your machine's footprint is logged.
When you leave the router, 'logout' or disassociate yourself - you leave a log record.

By installing corrupt firmware - it can hide the real logs and present the 'owner' with a fake log. Just like the corrupt firmware will prevent the 'owner' from resetting the admin console password.

The last resort is a brick and run - once you commit your deeds on a wifi router and you wish to erase trace of your activities - you can install corrupt/bad firmware - that makes the device unable to boot. When you leave, you hit the 'install new firmware' button...

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.