4 pin PWM to 3 pin voltage control converter

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
reparto
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

4 pin PWM to 3 pin voltage control converter

Post by reparto »

Found this and ordered one instantly!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't want to buy a T-balance or Aquaero unit (I also don't like the new gold Z87 ASUS motherboards so this lets me buy another board without having to miss out on onboard voltage control) to be able to control 3 pin fans so I looked around for a simple converter and found this product from Nanoxia (lesser known German company I believe).

Basically, you plug the 4 pin into the board and a fan (or splitter) into the other end and the PWM signals are converted to an appropriate voltage, there is also a rheostat so you can control the maximum voltage which extremely useful for fans which are too loud at max speed.

You can then use the motherboard's fan profile settings to control 3 pin fans, or, as I intend to do sometime soon, you can use your GPU's fan profile settings and use a GPUPWM->4 Pin adapter with this to be able to set fan speeds using GPU temperatures.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: 4 pin PWM to 3 pin voltage control converter

Post by bad_brain »

oh, that IS really nifty....but OF COURSE my local amazon branch doesn't have it.. ](*,)
will still order some Nanoxia stuff, they have some really useful wiring components.... :D

nice find! *thumb*

reparto

Post by reparto »

Its a shame your Amazon doesn't have it, mine is being shipped from Switzerland and the delivery costs twice the device...
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ohh...waaait a second.....the seller on amazon.co.uk is a german one, really odd the part isn't available on amazon.de then. but I will try to contact the seller directly instead... :)

reparto

Post by reparto »

I got mine today, it has really nice braiding and looks like it will work. I need to download the fan control software for my mobo to test it first.

EDIT:
Got the fan control working, and it does indeed work really nicely. The only gripe about it is that the rheostat could do with a finer resolution, otherwise its a great piece of kit that really ought to be more available. Also, it has velcro so you can not screw it in to the case.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

sweet, thanks for the quick review.... *thumb*

a bit hard to see on the pics, are the wires completely in those braided housings? might sound silly, but it's kinda important to me....even the SATA cables are in such housings in my main system, and it would be awesome if I could keep the clean look if those cables have the same style (with no wires showing up at all like it often is on the last few inches of poopy cables where the housing is not done from end to end).

reparto

Post by reparto »

There is a small (~1mm) bit of naked cable at the 3pin end but I was able to cover it up by pushing the heatshrink over it.

here are some pics (before pushing the heatshrink over it):
http://imagehost.suck-o.com/R4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imagehost.suck-o.com/RG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imagehost.suck-o.com/RN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After pushing heatshrink:
http://imagehost.suck-o.com/image/Rc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a small housing which contains all the magic dust, its small enough so you can discretely fit in a corner somewhere, its shiny plastic but you could sand it to get rid of the shine if you really wanted to hide it.

The braiding on the cables is similar to this NZXT ATX cable: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =CB-000-NX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

sweet, thanks for the pics! :D
that's how I like it, the few millimeters are ok, a lot of manufacturers leave the last 2-3 centimeters uncovered which pretty much ruins the whole look... :roll: