work ethic sucks

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
ilkjester
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

work ethic sucks

Post by ilkjester »

So how in the hell do you guys learn how to do this buy yourself? Ive been trying to learn as much as I can but Im not learning anything new and my knowledge is already slim. If I had someone over my shoulder nagging me I might learn something. I think I would do alot better in a classroom but hopefully soon ill be able to work on stuff my own so I can learn even more then I already know.

d10b

Learn what?

Post by d10b »

What are you trying to learn?
``The true voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes``

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

set a goal

Post by DNR »

If you are a true hacker, then you have the hacker personality - including its defect - disorganization. School was the best way I trained to focus and complete tasks. I used to start and never finish many projects or papers. School is also a clearly defined goal, hacking is not. You can't set a goal of being a elite hacker, it is a moving target, a process that must run constantly, as technology evolves constantly too.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

I totally agree with DNR
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Re: set a goal

Post by pseudo_opcode »

DNR wrote:If you are a true hacker, then you have the hacker personality - including its defect - disorganization. School was the best way I trained to focus and complete tasks. I used to start and never finish many projects or papers. School is also a clearly defined goal, hacking is not. You can't set a goal of being a elite hacker, it is a moving target, a process that must run constantly, as technology evolves constantly too.

DNR
Well said, the only thing which can keep you glued is pure interest and passion....

d10b

Post by d10b »

pseudo_opcode wrote:Well said, the only thing which can keep you glued is pure interest and passion....
Hah yes you definately have to have an interest. Maybe being a hacker sounds cool to you but is more work than you thought. :)

I'd like a six pack stomach but I'm not going to do all those sit ups...
``The true voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes``

ilkjester

Post by ilkjester »

d10b wrote:
pseudo_opcode wrote:Well said, the only thing which can keep you glued is pure interest and passion....
Hah yes you definately have to have an interest. Maybe being a hacker sounds cool to you but is more work than you thought. :)

I'd like a six pack stomach but I'm not going to do all those sit ups...
6packs are easy to have I don't do any situps and ive got one. Its all in your diet. Its not that Its to much work But When im working and do get home im to tired to even want to do something.
Last edited by ilkjester on 28 Aug 2006, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

d10b wrote:I'd like a six pack stomach but I'm not going to do all those sit ups...
Or get that stuff... http://tinyurl.com/gd572 [for long links, use tinyurl]
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

d10b

Post by d10b »

ilkjester wrote:6packs are easy to have I don't do any situps and ive got one. Its all in your diet. Its not that Its to much work But When im working and do get home im to tired to even want to do something.
I think it also has to do with your daily activities. I used to work in a stockroom and my arms were much bigger than they are now, but my diet hasn't changed. Maybe you're keeping your flat tummy through some daily activities, sports, work, etc...

Keep using your hacking muscle (and stay on a hacking diet) and you'll have no problems learning. Once the hacking muscle gets a little stronger practice and learning will become easier. :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, imo it's important to do at least a little sports when you're sitting in front of the screen for almost the whole day like I do. I go jogging almost every day (about 5 km), and sometimes biking. it's not about staying in shape in the first place (ok, many sysadmins are real fatasses, I don't want to look like that :lol: ), it's more a mental thing. while jogging I don't have to focus my mind on anything...it sounds funny, but I really get the best ideas then...it's like sleep, where the brain is running idle too and so can work up all the impressions of the day. when I come home again my mind is totally refreshed and this is of course the best state for working successfully.

oh, and "work"....working in the IT business can be pretty annoying sometimes, but there is an aspect I really enjoy: you learn new stuff EVERY day and this is the best training for the "hacking muscle"... :lol:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

physical and mental training, exercise

Post by DNR »

B_B has a message. You want to balance your mental skills with physical skill too. And, exercise is very important to maintain both your physical and mental being. Those big-assed sysadmins might have squeezed in a little bit more coding time or a book or two, but in a few years their health will decline and it'll mean nothing. I mtn bike, I like to do technical and fast sections off-road. I have built a $2,500 full suspension bike, it gets my heart pumping, build my legs and arms, and it is a thrill as much as playing half-life for the first time. I lift weights to stay buff, its easy when you get into it. Being a hacker to me means being better than most, if not all people. I like to think I could hack, shoot, fight, drive, and just plain act/react to everyday issues faster and better. Sports or exercise can teach you to multitask thinking (I do admit to thinking about work while I play, but it helps put it in abstract), planning (games are defense and attack), it builds character - because you'll never quit until you win. It also releases built up energy and testosterone, I like Jiu Jitsu or karate sparring for releasing energy explosively - without destroying something. I'll train with a short staff or nunchakus to forget about work.

The idea is to be a whole person, well balanced in the physical, emotional, logical, and technical realms.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

LaBlueGirl
Suckopithicus chickasaurus
Suckopithicus chickasaurus

Ilkjester

Post by LaBlueGirl »

What is it you *want* to do with the computer?
What main thing are you curious about right now?

Read a little bit of everything and see what interests you.
Then, read more about that and try it on your own computer.

You can always take classes if you feel you need it.
But practical application may be lacking, so you'll need experience too.

Read when you are able to assimilate the knowledge, not just skim over it.
It took me a year to learn HTML/css. Not b/c it is so difficult <wry grin> but b/c of the right mentality, too.

LBG
"Hey, Crash!
Ever tried walking with no legs?

It's real slow!"
~Crunch, Crash Bandicoot TTR