Web development is screwing me...

All about creating websites!
z3r0aCc3Ss
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Web development is screwing me...

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

Hey fellas... recently I switched my job.

I joined there on the same profile, as a web developer.

Since then, this web development is sucking my blood and eating my hairs. Whenever I get any task, first thing I am required to do is to make the website browser compatible for IE7, IE8, and IE9. And this is a nightmare for me.

I have never cared about IE (Microsoft :P ) in my entire life, and now, it seems, IE is taking a revenge on me.

My clients want transition, sliding effects in their website, and once I develop it, I get enormous, stupid, and unending calls stating that site is not visible in IE. I ask them which version you are using, and as usual, they reply, "I DON'T KNOW :evil: ". I don't know what to do man... When I ask them to upgrade their browser, they say, they don't know how to do. (I guess, it is because in the country I live in, almost everyone is using pirated MS Windows. So, they may not be getting proper browser updates. And hence, they are stuck on lower versions of IE) ](*,) ](*,)

In the night at 19:00, they will give me a PSD file, and expect me to make it live before 23:59 the same day, and that too, with all browser compatibility.

Can you suggest me some ideas, plans, or way to reduce this stress and mess?
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Web development is screwing me...

Post by bad_brain »

IE7? from 8 on it's kinda ok, but 7 is really annoying (leave alone 6). my customers usually don't use such old versions, so I luckily don't have to deal with that annoyance too much, but if I do my strategy is to overwhelm them with technical terms and tell them it's bad to make it fully compatible with such old browser versions. actually that's not even a lie, because IE supports HTML5 not before version 9....so you can ask them if they really prefer an "old" website just because they are using an old browser and bore the rest of the world, or if they want a modern website which will be more attractive to people (and bring them more money).

such details should be one of the FIRST things you discuss with a customer, BEFORE you actually start the development....that saves you from a lot of annoyance. also make sure to check every dev step with all browser versions, luckily the latest IE versions make that pretty easy by providing the different rendering engines, so you don't need different machines with different versions.

to solve the "I don't know what browser I am using" issue you could set up a little test page/site and ask the customer to visit it, and then check the access log for the user client entry....that way you can identify the used browser easily.

and "not possible" is simply "not possible"....people always make pressure and expect things to be done in unrealistic time frames, you have to learn to take control over that instead of letting them take control over you....I mean, YOU are the one doing that, YOU are the expert (that's why they hired you), so YOU say when it'll be done. and if they totally insist on the job being finished that quick then demand the double price because you "have to label it as emergency job and other customers have to wait if it has to be done now"...when it's about money people suddenly have more time, you'll see... :lol:

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

But I am just a developer. People that are there for client interaction are so dumb that they don't have even a slight bit of idea about browser compatibility. And we are not allowed to talk to clients.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

cwdykarn
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by cwdykarn »

Is their a pattern in the data you get at night time? if soo, it should be possible to tailor a html/html5 code generator for that kind of data.

input raw data -> auto-generate suitable html/css -> manual review -> done.
This way should eaz the amount of stress and work load alot.

The real issue seam's to be your employer. If they dont value your input, then you should look for one that will.

regards @cwDYKARN