Steam In-Home Streaming

About your favorite games!
ayu
Staff
Staff

Steam In-Home Streaming

Post by ayu »

So a friend introduced me to this yesterday.
We were gonna try the "Goat Simulator" on steam and wanted to sit in the sofa while playing.
We ran the simulator on a Windows partition on my gaming system, and then ran steam on both the Windows machine and my Linux laptop that was connected to the TV via HDMI.
The game was then streamed from the gaming machine to the laptop, and I have to say that I am very impressed by it.
It felt as if we were sitting at the gaming machine just like always, no lagg or other issues.
The games could be managed from the laptop so we didn't really notice that we were using them from the other machine.

Here's the Steam page about it.

Code: Select all

http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/
It also supports non-steam games, although not officially so some games might work better than others to stream.
One game where we only got sound and the mouse pointer was "ArcheAge", but I expect that to be solvable somehow.

My current plan now is to buy an "Intel Nuc" computer at some point, and use that as my main Linux system.
Then I'll have only Windows on the gaming machine, and use it as a headless gaming server.

Big step for Linux gaming imho.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Steam In-Home Streaming

Post by bad_brain »

hmmm...this is pretty interesting....how are you streaming, network hardware wise I mean? :-k

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:hmmm...this is pretty interesting....how are you streaming, network hardware wise I mean? :-k
100 Mbit Ethernet, but gonna change to Gigabit later when we move from this flat.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ok, is there any lagging with 100mbit? the reason I am asking is that the limitation in my home network is the pretty old (but technically very good) router....which is a 100mbit one... :-k

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:ok, is there any lagging with 100mbit? the reason I am asking is that the limitation in my home network is the pretty old (but technically very good) router....which is a 100mbit one... :-k
Well, no lagg with the Goat Simulator as least :lol:.
I will try some more demanding games tonight though :D

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

cats wrote:I will try some more demanding games tonight though
the "2 goats simulator"? :lol:

let me know how it works buddy...:D

reparto
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by reparto »

for 1920x1080 a 50Mb/s connection should be enough if uncompressed

1920x1080 = 2073600 pixels
assuming RGB24 output this means a bandwidth of 49766400 bits per second which is approx. 50Mb/s
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, plus the overhead of each packet as it contains not only the payload...I am not sure which protocol is used, but if it would use TCP (I guess it's UDP though) 100Mbit would be almost at its limit as the TCP overhead usually makes around 40% of the whole traffic and adds between 20 and 60 byte per packet.

reparto

Post by reparto »

thats a good point but I also forgot to take into account frames so its 50Mb/s * FPS * Overhead, i think its safe to say that they are using VP9 or h.264 to do compression
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services