This is the Internet without network neutrality ( Pic )

...let us know what you think, free speech!
TheScottyTurner
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

This is the Internet without network neutrality ( Pic )

Post by TheScottyTurner »

I'm sure some of you have seen this, I just saw it in the comments section of an ars technica article...

Would be crazy af if shit somehow ended up like this one day

Edit: fixed the photo
Last edited by TheScottyTurner on 09 Jun 2014, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: This is the Internet without network neutrality ( Pic )

Post by bad_brain »

hmmm...pic was deleted... :-k :?:

TheScottyTurner
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by TheScottyTurner »

Alright, sorry about that guys *thumb*

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

If it ever ends up like that, I'll become a terrorist
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

if that ever becomes standard I'll rent a server for the sole purpose of using it as VPN...of course the suck-o-teers could use it too... 8)
the sad thing is that it even COULD become standard, because let's face it: 90% of the people online are IT illiterate idiots who wouldn't even see a problem with that....so the providers would not have to take those offers from their list again because people would actually really use it.... :roll:
in Germany the biggest provider (Telekom) proudly announced last year (I think, might also have been 2012 already) that they now go all 90's again and add bandwidth limits to DSL connections...a bunch of people were annoyed, but not enough, so they really made it happen. existing contracts were not affected though (else it would have been a reason to cancel the contracts instantly, and they were afraid of that).

I've loaded the image to our own imagehost and placed a thumbnail/link version so it doesn't break the layout for people using the main site with the forum embedded.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

I was thinking the same on all points. But mostly about how 90% of people are IT illiterate and would just accept it as a standard.

reparto
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by reparto »

If they can restrict access to websites then this implies they must be doing some sort of MITM attack as google uses SSL. Furthermore, would be they be able to restrict protocols (only allow HTTP and HTTPS) because then they could charge people to use VPNs and IRC... that would suck...
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, the protocol restriction is most likely simply done by port blocking...as it's done by many providers already now with incoming connections, like no port 80 so you can't host sites at home, or my personal favorite no port 25 connections "to prevent spam" (the actual reason is more like "we force you to use OUR MX servers so we can grab your data and sell it/use it for marketing profiles").

damn, now I am curious....we should find someone getting such a connection (if there is a 30 days free trial offer or something like that of course), just to see how easy it is to evade their blocking...I am pretty sure it's all based on really simple technology, because as I mentioned already: such offers target the stereotype IT illiterate standard user.

reparto

Post by reparto »

Couldn't we just get a box with two networks cards and emulate an ISP, we could easily employ any level of blocking and try to break it.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services