Boycott Google Chrome(Yay or nay)

Our very own fight club!
rhysh
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Boycott Google Chrome(Yay or nay)

Post by rhysh »

So tonight I find half my extensions disabled as chrome updated itself to version 35.

So i do the usual and try re-enable them and install them again etc only to find out that Google has announced they are trying to keep their users 'secure' by forcing all developers to host their apps on the Google Webstore to prevent malware and unintentional installs of apps etc.

Anyways, I check the Google Webstore for a usable downloader for youtube and what do you know.....Nothing.

Rather than troubleshoot I immediately installed Maxthon and uninstalled chrome for good.

Whats your thoughts guys, the solution is also below but why bother with this?

http://superuser.com/questions/767286/r ... with-enhan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Boycott Google Chrome(Yay or nay)

Post by bad_brain »

hmmm...I just checked, my extensions are all still working. I have to admit I am not using that much though:
- Cookie Manager
- Firebug Lite
- DoNotTrackMe
- Screen Capture
- Window Name Eraser

can I ask what plugins you have been using have been disabled? :-k

generally I find it ok when Google says "we disabled plugins not officially supported/checked by us" after the update...but not being able to activate them at all anymore sucks, because in the end I am responsible for what stuff I run on my system, and not Google. :x

it would be a reason for a boycott imo....but what to use instead? FF sucks technically and morally and should be boycotted too, IE was never an option. Chromium maybe? would be interesting to know if that one still supports ALL plugins... :-k

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

V35 seems to be affected, I would simply downgrade to v34 but I simply won't use software made by companies participating in corporate greed and what not so I went with maxthon which has come a long way since 2007, it even integrates your google chrome data(Thank fuck).

Anyways I recommend you disable updates in chrome or block it's update servers until google realises what a mistake theyve made.

Firefox is kind of meh these days, they were great until they started trying to copy Chrome and thats when I stopped using firefox last year

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

I was really happy when it autodisabled the divx player. Gotta hate that malware.

Now, not being able to turn it on in emergencies sounds more like a broken browser than a security measure... :S

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Lundis wrote:Now, not being able to turn it on in emergencies sounds more like a broken browser than a security measure... :S
exactly. and doesn't that negate the whole idea behind FOSS? :roll:

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

I dunno man, it's hard to say because any browser you go with is going to have some fatal flaw. Either you go with one of the major ones and have proprietary, moral or high target surface issues; or you pick one of the lesser known ones and suffer from low plugin support, option availability, and the possibility that it will just be abandoned all together instead of a next update.

What are you considering as an alternative; Opera, Midori, Slimboat?
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

I've been using Chrome exclusively for several years now and I don't intend to stop. I have only Firefox installed (Iceweasle on Debian) in case I need to see a website from another browser. It has always been good to me, except for once when I lost my bookmarks on it, but I found out that I never use bookmarks at all anyway, I mean, I hardly ever go to those sites that I bookmark - ironically :)

As for the youtube downloader, if you're on Linux try this one: http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it's insanely easy to use and practical.