Windows XP and Windows Vista service pack 1 end of support.

Problems? Post here...
Hiram
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Windows XP and Windows Vista service pack 1 end of support.

Post by Hiram »

Support for Windows XP ended on April 8, 2014.
Support for Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) ended on July 12, 2011.
Support for Windows Vista without any service packs ended on April 13, 2010.
I don't wish to be dragged by constant advancement.
The more advanced technology is, the more vulnerable it becomes.

In Germany people are going back to typewriters, to prevent the NSA of US from hacking
their PCs.
This World, this Universe, belongs to All in it;
you just have to know exactly where you belong!!!

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Windows XP and Windows Vista service pack 1 end of support.

Post by ayu »

Well, I don't think that is entirely true.
Wooden doors vs steel doors is one example.

Also, before Windows XP came with a firewall that was enabled by default we had shit like Blaster and Sasser.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Yeah, I can't really get behind that sentiment. I mean, switch to a typewriter if you want to, but know that you are being left behind. The "network security" of the 70's 80's and 90's was a joke given what we know today; and people who refuse to advance with technology will be left working inside the confines of that joke.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

Hiram

Post by Hiram »

It isn't resisting advancement, but sometimes new ideas are misplaced or not well
introduced.

You can see that Windows vista is a newer version of windows than Windows XP, but
support for Windows Vista ended earlier.

It isn't resisting advancement, but avoiding being dragged.
The real purpose of mobile phones is just calling and texting, but nowadays I see
beautiful slender girls with huge/wide mobile phones because of the loaded functions.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Hiram wrote:It isn't resisting advancement, but sometimes new ideas are misplaced or not well
introduced.

You can see that Windows vista is a newer version of windows than Windows XP, but
support for Windows Vista ended earlier.

It isn't resisting advancement, but avoiding being dragged.
The real purpose of mobile phones is just calling and texting, but nowadays I see
beautiful slender girls with huge/wide mobile phones because of the loaded functions.

Well yes, Vista wasn't introduced in a good way, and ended earlier than Windows XP because of the huge amount of pressure MS got when people wanted to keep it.
A lot of systems still use XP today (not to mention POS systems and industrial machines), thus the need for longer support.
Vista would not have been a logical choice for a machine since it's slow and bulky.

And the real purpose of the mobile phones is such because that is the realistic "need" for it.
We "need" to communicate. All the other functions are stuff that we "want" to do for entertainment or to make our lives just that little bit easier.

All this still doesn't really affect security much imho.
Vista was shit but I believe it was more secure than XP is/was.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Hiram

Post by Hiram »

cats wrote: And the real purpose of the mobile phones is such because that is the realistic "need" for it.
We "need" to communicate. All the other functions are stuff that we "want" to do for entertainment or to make our lives just that little bit easier.
You got it right, but you went further. The real purpose of mobile phones is communication, not entertainment. A modern phone is meant to be small for portability to ease communication, but now entertainment is making mobile phones big again.

Entertainment has never been portable. Where it seems to be, it will be demanding.
When watching a movie on a mobile phone, you hold it closer to see the small pictures well, but for how long can you hold it? This is when you start wishing; for bigger size and accessories, may be stands to help out the exhausted hands, and power consumption makes people move with phone chargers all the time, especially teenagers.

The real language of a modern computer is the machine code (00100011) since the computer was unveiled, and advancement has never changed this. Binary code is slow,
but it is still surviving advancement. The frequent advancement of our generation
is full of luxury and vulnerability.