Client info collecting for analytics

All about creating websites!
maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Client info collecting for analytics

Post by maboroshi »

What info should I log from an HTTP request with Javascript or HTTP Header Fields for analytics with an advertising clients banner being clicked.

Currently I am just counting per click, logging the IP and date/time of the clients request before redirecting to the clients website. Each ad banner has a unique identifier (UUID) which I pass as a parameter to the click through page.

The click throughs are coming from mobile software I have built. So I could pass any additional parameters from that as well.

However what are some suggestions people have, to make some decent analytics for advertisers.

I know I can calculate the views per clicks ratio clicks / impressions but what else do you recommend or know others integrate. I am to lazy to Google through all the nonsense :-)

*cheers!

Mabo

visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: Client info collecting for analytics

Post by visser »

It has been soooooo long since I have done some of this, but the big thing is getting an idea of the type of demographic that you are targetting. The whole clicks v impressions thing is a measure of how good your deisgn/ui/ux all played out. However, you can help to improve your site as a whole if you know that 75% of your visitors are, say 30 and older. Knowing that most of the people coming to your place are hitting that age 30 you can do various things like tone down the color pallet to be a little more of a serious feel, or change the font that is being used for your CTAs to properly reflect a modern sleek look that those 30 is the new 20 seem to go for. Just a couple of random thoughts.
AKA Scottyrabbit

software engineers unite!

//When my words are remembered its because my actions were loud enough.