Windows 10...

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
reparto
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Windows 10...

Post by reparto »

because 7 8 9 :D (sorry for the bad joke...), the actual reason behind skipping 9 is because they would check for Windows 9X versions by checking the OS name against the string "Windows 9" which will obviously cause some problems.

Anyway, the technical preview is out and it seems ok from the demonstrations I've seen on youtube.

The only problem I have is that the hardware requirements really ought be higher, nowadays we really should be expecting a minimum of a dual core CPU with at least 4GB of RAM (I.e. X64 only) and this higher hardware requirement would provide Microsoft with smaller range of higher performance hardware to optimise for.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Windows 10...

Post by bad_brain »

well, Windows 10 must be good if Microsoft keeps following their usual pattern of releasing 1 good OS followed by a crappy one (XP good, Vista sucks, 7 good, 8 sucks)... :lol:

and actually modern OSs that focus on entertainment (and that's what MS does) don't need a 32bit release anymore imo...I mean, who in the world would run such an OS on a P2? and without at least 4GB RAM (actually I would say at least 8 already) it's also pointless.

I had (and have) no time at the moment to really get into it, any new features announced in 10 you find especially interesting? :-k

reparto

Post by reparto »

bad_brain wrote:I had (and have) no time at the moment to really get into it, any new features announced in 10 you find especially interesting? :-k
I like the feature that makes it pretty much like Windows 7 but with the Metro skin... :D

There aren't really any ground breaking features, you can snap windows in more ways now but you could already do that with nVidia and AMD driver software. There is also stuff from Linux like multiple desktops but its broken as of right now (the same taskbar appears on all desktops so you can accidentally click on windows in other desktops). You can put twitter and facebook feeds in the start menu but that's a waste processor cycles and RAM.

Essentially, its OK, its not a great step forward from Windows 7 but its definitely better than Windows 8.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

oh, I like the Metro skin, so that would be nice...especially because I can't be bothered to install 3rd party skins. :)

the multiple desktops...well...nice, but I'm not making use of it on Linux already... :lol:

I'm sure there will be more changes to be announced which will be mostly under the hood, what I REALLY would like to see is FINALLY a decent implementation of RAID and AHCI drivers so you don't have to go all 90's anymore by loading external drivers during install... :roll:

reparto

Post by reparto »

A decent RAID implementation would be nice but I think Microsoft is going down the user experience route :(
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I actually wonder why that is....I mean, I doubt it's a space problem (install disk wise I mean), and I also doubt it's a vendor issue because it actually would have benefits for them too.... :-k

reparto

Post by reparto »

I think it makes sense from a business perspective. RAID is typically used in server configuration and Windows isn't really popular for servers.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, good point. on the other hand most desktop mainboards nowadays come with RAID support already.... :-k

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

Will 10 be able to use more ram than 7 did? Last I was out 7 x86 could use only 3.5 gig of ram while x64 could use only 7.5. Not sure what win8 could use. I'm glad to hear the are bringing back the start button. An incorporation of 7 and 8 to make 10 sounds decent.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

wow, now that was a surprise. I first thought "what the hell is he talking about, I am using 16 GB on my Win7 from day 1 on"....but then I found out the different versions (basic, premium, pro, etc.) have also different physical memory limits... :-s

have a look here (nothing about Win10 there so far though).