info from ip

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

info from ip

Post by Kirk »

Anyone know how to get the name on an IP address? Say someone logged into your email and it wasn't you. The email provides the IP. Any way to find out who it's for? I've traced the IP to the address. At least iptrackeronline.com says that's the address. Not sure how accurate they are.

Kirk

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Re: info from ip

Post by maboroshi »

There is no real association in that sense between an IP and it's connection. You can find services to Geo Locate the IP (to find country of origin as well as various other information): https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo

You can port scan the IP for possible information associated to whose it is, If its someone who gained unlawful access to your account look for ports associated with Tor. Or look the IP address up here (These are exit nodes for Tor): http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/.

This will determine 1 of 2 things. 1) The person used a Proxy or used a Direct IP address or 2) The Person was using Tor and better luck next century in finding out who it was. You can also check for various domains associated with that IP address using a reverse DNS lookup to see if there is any indication of who it could be.

However given your situation I advise against taking the law in to your own hands. But this is just my opinion which is attached to the information posted :D

Code: Select all

http://network-tools.com/
https://pentest-tools.com/discovery-probing/tcp-port-scanner-online-nmap

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

I'm not taking the law into my hands. I learned. My it was just my sisters cell phones ip changing every couple days. Lol. Nerd.

Her card info did get stolen and a ton of Xbox charges. She is calling them tomorrow to find out what the account info is......

Cool sites though. Last time I was on the Internet all the sites were different. Need to relearn tbem.

Kirk

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I'm using this one to get the location, I'm using it since a while already and it turned out to be pretty accurate: http://www.infosniper.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but yeah, the only one who can say who is really behind that IP (name and address) is the ISP, and they usually don't give that info without a valid court order.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Nice one Kirk welcome back to suck-o!

*cheers

Mabo :D

scatter
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by scatter »

u can share the ip if u want and in some cases u can track the ip even to get a pic of the house from where it was used :)

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

Ya but they are horribly inaccurate. For example, if it's a cell phone ip it only traces back to the tower that the cell connected to. That could be a mile or more away. I would like to know how these site actually find out what info the do find. What are they using to trace the IP back?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, IF they really trace the IP then it's done by looking where the last hop is located, which is nothing but doing a traceroute and then an IP lookup for the last hop.
the only other option is using a database where IPs are connected with locations...HOW that data is actually gathered...I don't know. the GeoIP database from MaxMind is pretty accurate, at least for more urban areas in Europe and the USA (like "a bunch of miles accurate"), I could imagine the commercial databases they offer are more accurate.

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

That's what I used to check the geolocate. Tracert.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ah,ok.....tracert/traceroute is pretty pointless if you want location info more accurate than maybe 50-100 miles, because depending on the infrastructure in that area the last hop (next backbone) can be far away.
my first hop via traceroute is even about 150 miles away, while the maxmind database locates me about 15 miles away.
:wink: