remote management

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

remote management

Post by Kirk »

So my wife's company has about 5 computers a few ipads and some android tablets. I'm wondering what good software or setup would work best for remote management of them. Completely above the table. Windows remote terminal is always pretty good. I've used a ton of other apps but usually it was injected into a running process so it couldn't be found. Lol. IBM had proprietary software that was decent. And the last software firm I worked for everything was VPN and networked so I could just sign into the computer. I don't really want to do much for them cause I don't work for them but..... I think I will have to fly down to az and actually set up everything.
What are your guys thoughts and ideas?
I know this is an easy question and I can think of tons of ways to do it I'm just trying to get back on the site... lol and I'm not managing their computers, don't want to. Just curious what you guys have to suggest.

Kirk

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: remote management

Post by bad_brain »

hm, well, as server dude I would use a SSH shell whenever possible...it's secure (because encrypted traffic) and much more effective to work with than in a graphic environment.
for Android and Mac (as *nix based OSs) this should be no problem because that functionality is already part of the kernel, but for Windows you would have to go with 3rd party programs like freeSSHd for example (http://www.freesshd.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)...and because I have no experience with those programs I couldn't say how well that works... :-k

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Re: remote management

Post by lilrofl »

I've got to second SSH as the most useful remote administration tool if it's an option. Super low overhead, powerful and strong encryption capable (you can even 2-factor it with google authenticator + andorid/iOS app).

If that isn't an option (windows) I've used TightVNC before and it works pretty well over a decent connection; with a few options to lower its bandwidth guzzling.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]