backup software

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

backup software

Post by Kirk »

im sure this is out there, just not finding it. i want to be able to have a central location for my files with several redundancy backups. however i want them all to backup each other. lets say i have files on an external hard drive, files on a thumb drive, and some stored on my local machine. if i add something to my external i want it to automatically back it up to my other spots. same with the thumb drive. so if ive added two files to my external and one file to my local machine i want them all to sync by updating each other. any suggestion here?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: backup software

Post by bad_brain »

have a look at this one:
http://www.freefilesync.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I assume the drives, especially the thumb drive, are not connected 24/7, so scheduled tasks will not really work....and I am not aware of any software that has a "automatically sync on plug in" functionality (in some situations it would be annoying anyway, just imagine you want to read/write something on your thumb drive real quick, connect it, but it initiates the sync process).

personally I am creating backups on each of my systems automatically by running cronjobs (I only do that on my Linux systems, on my Windows box I don't have stuff that needs to be backed up regularly), and then I transfer it manually to my Linux home server which has 2x 4TB drives in RAID 1 mode. if your computer(s) are on 24/7 you could also automatize that (I shut mine down when going to sleep), for example by using rsync....afaik it works for NTFS file systems too.

rhysh
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: backup software

Post by rhysh »

Acronis backup software is great.

For simplicity use True Image and for more advanced stuff like incremental backups etc look into Acronis Backup recovery 11+.

If you want to go a step up but have never ending headaches(Strange errors and odd failures) there's always Symantec Backup Exec but I' would use an older version as the 2012+ versions are over complicated fancy GUI shit with nothing great to offer ontop of it's predecessors