books

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

books

Post by Kirk »

what are some of the best books you guys have read? most helpful, etc? in any category.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: books

Post by bad_brain »

sadly I don't have much time to read anymore, but the book I have enjoyed the most in the last years was "Lord of Chaos":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lords_of_Chaos_%28book%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
even if you are not into that music genre (as I am) I think it is a very interesting read.

a must have imo is what we call "the linux bible" in germany, it has the size of half a parking lot and weights as much as a WW2 tank.... :lol: but it's really cheap to get I have seen:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

everything from Edgar Allan Poe is also highly recommended.

here's a pic of my book shelf with the Linux bible and above the complete works of Edgar Allan Poe, hard to say which one is bigger... :lol:

in the mid right a skilled observer can also find the most ironic present I ever got... 8) :lol:

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

ive read everything of Poes. i had about 3,000 books in my library. but when i split with my fiancee it was easier to leave everything i owned behind then try to get it back. so now im starting to rebuild my lost stuff. yes, i had read every one of those books. some multiple times. some i had many copies of the same book. i had 4 different versions of homers iliad and odyssey.

that linux book is $6. im going to pick it up.

is that obama in that snow glob?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Kirk wrote:is that obama in that snow glob?
yes. :lol:

hmmm...what else can I recommend...my library is actually 90% technical books.. :-k
the Hagakure is also very interesting: http://books.google.de/books/about/Haga ... edir_esc=y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Arthur Clarke - 2001 space odyssey
Adams - Hitchhikers guide through the galaxy (still haven't read it, but I believe it's a must-have)
Isaac Asimov is always great, so is King if you're into that.
Dan Brown if you're into mystery/thriller.

Of the top of my head.

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

ive read all of those. ive read a lot of books. more than the any 3 or 4 normal book readers. i did 9 of my years in prison in 23 hour lock down so i read, read, read. and still read every night to this day.

really appreciate all the suggestions so far.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson was pretty good. I also liked The Cobra Event by Richard Preston.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]