keep users from streaming on pc

Problems? Post here...
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

keep users from streaming on pc

Post by Kirk »

What would be a good way to block users from streaming videos on their pcs? Assume it is a small network in an office, 25 users, mostly windows machines (2 Ubuntu). Looking for a software application vs a hardware application. Don't want to try to block each site because I don't know all the sites and they could just use a proxy anyways (if they knkw what one is). Don't want a hardware solution because changing the network isn't wanted at this point. However if you know of a fantastic hardware solution toss it my way. I don't want to limit my options but would prefer a software solution.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Re: keep users from streaming on pc

Post by maboroshi »

I would suggest disabling the use of Flash and HTML5 playback in various web browsers and locking access to being able to make changes to those settings.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: keep users from streaming on pc

Post by bad_brain »

hm, how are the hosts connected to the internet? is there a linux system as router? if yes you could use Squid for traffic shaping and limit the bandwidth per host to something like 128kb....which would be enough for mail and general internet use, but you can forget streaming because it would buffer like hell all the time.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bandwidth-Limiting-HOWTO/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;