downtime march 13

Announcements and for questions/problems..
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

downtime march 13

Post by bad_brain »

phew, that was a nice adrenaline rush.

reason of the downtime was the HDD running out of space, so mysql was not able to create temporary tables anymore. a clean shutdown failed because the .lock file was still there so I had to kill -9 mysql.....which corrupted some open tables.
usually no big deal because you can repair tables marked as crashed with mysqlcheck, but it failed this time, so I tried myisamchk which was able to restore the indexes of the 2 tables marked as corrupted. afterwards the site loaded fine but all content was missing....the posts showed up in the database in list view, but when trying to view the content it returned an empty result.
so I repaired the wp_posts table (it was a Wordpress site), which has a size of almost 4 GB, with myisamchk too, even if it wasn't marked as corrupted or crashed....which worked! \:D/

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: downtime march 13

Post by ph0bYx »

Good job! *thumb*

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

How does a WP posts table get 4 gb of data ... Is media being stored as Blob? Regardless that is good work, I don't think I would want to handle 4gb of customer (I assume) data.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yes, the wp_posts table contains the actual post content (too) which is BLOB... :wink:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

gj : D
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"