fedora core installation problem

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
phall

fedora core installation problem

Post by phall »

Hi ppl, i'm trying to install fedora core on my windows system i created a partition using paragon partition manager and set the partition up ready for linux now when i go to install fedora it goes through all the checks and then says that no drivers are detected. I carried on anyway but at the end it says threre was an error during installation then terminates.I have a book that came with the disk but it doesn't mention anything about this happening it just takes you through normal installation with no problems! I have tried like 10 times, first tried to install using vmware but gave up coz it said i didn't have enough memory i'm running amd athlon64 dual core 3800+ with 1gig ram.
Any help would be really appreciated :D

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

what kind of HDD(s) are you using? IDE or SATA? and/or RAID established?

phall

Post by phall »

Yeh sorry about that its 1x 250 gig SATA and about the RAID didn't really know what it was but just read up and the slots on my motherboard are free so guess not. (Hope I read right about RAID being for multiple HDD's)

I formatted the partition in linux ext3 logical which is what the book told me to but when i set it up im sure it wasn't being setup to the partitioned space
it never gave me a choice. Not my first time setting linux up i've tried before but always gave up after like a week of messing about but this time chose what i thought was an easy one bought a book and disk came with it. Before was trying to install PHLAK, whax, slackware and freebsd and a few more but were all a pain in the derriere :)

Thanks again for help:D

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ok, I looked around a bit, there are sometimes problems with FC5 and SATA drives, but I noticed you said "the partition"...have you created just one partition for Linux? you need 3 of them:

- a data partition mounted at /boot

- a data partition mounted at /

- a swap partition

without these partitions no install is possible! I've tried FC5 just once (it sucked), so I don't know much about the installation process anymore, but there should be something like a partition wizard...use it if you don't feel safe with creating the partitions by hand. the best way for beginners to install Linux is to have an unformatted empty space on the HDD and chose "Use free space on selected drives and create default layout" in the install menu, this will create all needed partitions in the empty space.
if all this will not help (or isn't possible because of HDD errors) it's maybe a hardware imcompatibility, in this case post mainboard- and HDD-manufacturer/model.

but well, imo FC5 isn't a real good distro, I had many problems with it trying to upgrade a RH9-system, and even a complete install gave me a lot of errors because some services couldn't be started. my favourite distro is Debian, it may have not an nice-looking graphical installer but it worked without any problems on every box I've tried yet.
well, anyway, let us know if my tips helped... :wink: