No more hacking ...

...let us know what you think, free speech!
ayu
Staff
Staff

No more hacking ...

Post by ayu »

This is a rather weird thing for me to say, but I have lost all interest in hacking recently.
It's like the flame has just died over the course of a few months.

Even quit my job as a security consultant, and will go back to being a regular developer again.
If you had asked me a year ago if I would ever stop with the hacking I would probably have told you that it was a core feature in my life.
But now, not so much.

Anyone else made any life changing decisions lately?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Re: No more hacking ...

Post by lilrofl »

Big life changes happen to everyone, and they should be allowed to develop so that we can become as close as possible to the best version of ourself available.

I recently finished a 200 mile backpacking trip in the High Sierra mountains of California, and a master course in butchery, of all things. I am gearing up to take the RHCSA exam in February but have pretty much settled down in term of computer science. I would say that my interest have strayed further and further away from the keyboard, but life is what it is and although I see more of the trees than the screen I am enjoying the journey.

In short! embrace it! you never know what will amaze you tomorrow, and you can't ever figure it out if you never stop living in yesterday.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

lilrofl wrote:Big life changes happen to everyone, and they should be allowed to develop so that we can become as close as possible to the best version of ourself available.

I recently finished a 200 mile backpacking trip in the High Sierra mountains of California, and a master course in butchery, of all things. I am gearing up to take the RHCSA exam in February but have pretty much settled down in term of computer science. I would say that my interest have strayed further and further away from the keyboard, but life is what it is and although I see more of the trees than the screen I am enjoying the journey.

In short! embrace it! you never know what will amaze you tomorrow, and you can't ever figure it out if you never stop living in yesterday.
We need to add a "like" button or something for our next Suck-o version.
I totally agree! :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

as lilrofl said, life changes and so changes the perspective on things. if you take the stereotype definition of hacking I've never really been into it anyway.....the only exceptions where the very early n00b days and a few personal wrath fueled occasions.

my goal always was to get into servers and to make money with it, which I reached. ok, except for the fact that I'm not the hermit in a server farm I wanted to be....I'm CEO, 1st level support, HR, and head of customer acquisition at the same time. #-o :lol:

I'm still doing my own hacking style, but it changed as my life did...and so your hacking style changed too. you actually would have to be worried if it wouldn't have. ;)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:as lilrofl said, life changes and so changes the perspective on things. if you take the stereotype definition of hacking I've never really been into it anyway.....the only exceptions where the very early n00b days and a few personal wrath fueled occasions.

my goal always was to get into servers and to make money with it, which I reached. ok, except for the fact that I'm not the hermit in a server farm I wanted to be....I'm CEO, 1st level support, HR, and head of customer acquisition at the same time. #-o :lol:

I'm still doing my own hacking style, but it changed as my life did...and so your hacking style changed too. you actually would have to be worried if it wouldn't have. ;)
Yeah, guess so :D

Currently trying to get into game development.
Just a few months ago I hated it, so a lot of things has happened rather fast.
But it feels like positive development :).

Life is strange! ;)

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

What is hacking anyway? To me, it's the idea of looking at something, investigating it, poking it and prodding it. To understand it, and make it work for you. Hacking is taking something and adding value that it didn't have before, whether that value is only for you or a lot of people.

Are you sure you're not hacking anymore? Maybe you're just hacking your life ^_^
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

z3r0aCc3Ss
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

I can very well understand what you went through. Even I had this exact same phase in my life, twice. And it's absolutely fine. Even I've changed career paths, and interests; from a Web developer to English-Japanese translation to an astrologer to a chef to a cyber security analyst to a n00b script kiddie (11 years ago when I was new in the hacking field and wanted to make some quick money), and again now back to into IT, in software engineering.

At some point, one loses interest, which is absolutely fine and finds serenity in some different field altogether. So, cheers mate. Not to worry. We've all been there, done that.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

Gogeta70 wrote:What is hacking anyway? To me, it's the idea of looking at something, investigating it, poking it and prodding it. To understand it, and make it work for you. Hacking is taking something and adding value that it didn't have before, whether that value is only for you or a lot of people.

Are you sure you're not hacking anymore? Maybe you're just hacking your life ^_^
Bingo! Awesome...
Learning NMAP

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

z3r0aCc3Ss wrote:I can very well understand what you went through. Even I had this exact same phase in my life, twice. And it's absolutely fine. Even I've changed career paths, and interests; from a Web developer to English-Japanese translation to an astrologer to a chef to a cyber security analyst to a n00b script kiddie (11 years ago when I was new in the hacking field and wanted to make some quick money), and again now back to into IT, in software engineering.

There was a reason I was not active, not just here but almost nowhere on forums or any other discussion groups from past couple of years. I was introspecting about my interests, future, talking to people, attending conferences, traveling, etc. And yet, there's no guarantee that what you've chosen in the correct path for you. You just have to experience it. Either you'll love or you'll move on. Either way, you'll discover something new.

At some point, one loses interest, which is absolutely fine and finds serenity in some different field altogether. So, cheers mate. Not to worry. We've all been there, done that.
Learning NMAP

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Gogeta70 wrote:What is hacking anyway? To me, it's the idea of looking at something, investigating it, poking it and prodding it. To understand it, and make it work for you. Hacking is taking something and adding value that it didn't have before, whether that value is only for you or a lot of people.

Good point! :mrgreen:

Seeing as hacking comes from modding model trains I guess we are all hacking in our own ways xD

z3r0aCc3Ss wrote:I can very well understand what you went through. Even I had this exact same phase in my life, twice. And it's absolutely fine. Even I've changed career paths, and interests; from a Web developer to English-Japanese translation to an astrologer to a chef to a cyber security analyst to a n00b script kiddie (11 years ago when I was new in the hacking field and wanted to make some quick money), and again now back to into IT, in software engineering.

Cool, I've been trying to learn Japanese for a while now, but going slow.
Currently using "Duolingo" on Android to keep the basics fresh.

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

cats wrote: Cool, I've been trying to learn Japanese for a while now, but going slow.
Currently using "Duolingo" on Android to keep the basics fresh.
Ehh... I never liked that app, and for that matter, any other language "teaching" apps. They come in handy when you're visiting some country whose language you cannot speak, so they help you with basic greetings and a bunch of words.

But from my perspective, any language is a feeling, it's an emotion. It's all about how it got evolved, how people embraced it, and how it got passed on to the next generation. If you really want to learn, start using it directly. And never try to compare or convert as per the mother tongue. Then it becomes a drastic problem. Even Google or Bing haven't been able to crack it so far. I had used Bing API for a translation app a couple of years ago, but couldn't complete the product as it was almost next to impossible to convert English to Japanese. Well, most of the words or sentences get converted very precisely between English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, (European languages) etc., because they share basic roots, which are Germanic and Latin. But Asian or Arabic countries are very unique in their own way. If that wouldn't have been the case, then there wouldn't have been a single translator or an interpreter and Google and Bing have minted money.

Anyway, coming back to the topic, as you said you again went back to being a developer, maybe you can again go back to hacking again as well after a few years. Who knows?
Learning NMAP

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

z3r0aCc3Ss wrote: Ehh... I never liked that app, and for that matter, any other language "teaching" apps. They come in handy when you're visiting some country whose language you cannot speak, so they help you with basic greetings and a bunch of words.

But from my perspective, any language is a feeling, it's an emotion. It's all about how it got evolved, how people embraced it, and how it got passed on to the next generation. If you really want to learn, start using it directly. And never try to compare or convert as per the mother tongue. Then it becomes a drastic problem. Even Google or Bing haven't been able to crack it so far. I had used Bing API for a translation app a couple of years ago, but couldn't complete the product as it was almost next to impossible to convert English to Japanese. Well, most of the words or sentences get converted very precisely between English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, (European languages) etc., because they share basic roots, which are Germanic and Latin. But Asian or Arabic countries are very unique in their own way. If that wouldn't have been the case, then there wouldn't have been a single translator or an interpreter and Google and Bing have minted money.

Anyway, coming back to the topic, as you said you again went back to being a developer, maybe you can again go back to hacking again as well after a few years. Who knows?
Oh really? Well, for now it will have to work for me. I think there are courses around here that I could take and dedicate some time for it.
But for now it will have to be "hobby Japanese" : P

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

[quote="cats"]

Cool, I've been trying to learn Japanese for a while now, but going slow.
Currently using "Duolingo" on Android to keep the basics fresh.[/quote

I have used Duolingo for a few years now and I think it is a good resource. I combine with some spaced repetition work and listening exercises. Language learning is something that I find challenging and rewarding. I would recommend italki and certain memrise courses as auxiliary resources.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Same here, although that came to me a few years ago.
I have been very interested in 'hacking' in my early days in Suck-O, but for the last 3ish years I have been working as a web developer (and I always have at least 2 software development projects on the side) and I have never felt more fulfilled in life. Creating software fulfills me like rarely anything else in life, learning new technologies might be a close second. During this period the only time that I considered 'hacking' was to learn the new techniques and vulnerabilities just so that I can write more secure code and construct more secure systems.

I put 'hacking' in quotes because it got a whole new meaning for me. It now means the quick and dirty hacks in code, and I work on a project now where the previous developers did a lot of those and they are coming around to bite us in the ass. So not really a pleasant word for me :D

I'm glad that you choose game development. In my childish way I find game development the ultimate programming, and the web dev that I do to be laughable in comparison, but I never seem to find time to dip my toes into it. One of my favorite game developers, Jonathan Blow (https://go.twitch.tv/naysayer88/videos/all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), did a presentation where he compared web with game dev that I found somewhat accurate and funny: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He is also creating a new programming language targeted to game development and a game using that language, and also a presentation software and more - quite an interesting fella.
Also, HandmadeHero: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where the guy creates a game from scratch and explains each thing he does.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

ph0bYx wrote:Same here, although that came to me a few years ago.
I have been very interested in 'hacking' in my early days in Suck-O, but for the last 3ish years I have been working as a web developer (and I always have at least 2 software development projects on the side) and I have never felt more fulfilled in life. Creating software fulfills me like rarely anything else in life, learning new technologies might be a close second. During this period the only time that I considered 'hacking' was to learn the new techniques and vulnerabilities just so that I can write more secure code and construct more secure systems.

I put 'hacking' in quotes because it got a whole new meaning for me. It now means the quick and dirty hacks in code, and I work on a project now where the previous developers did a lot of those and they are coming around to bite us in the ass. So not really a pleasant word for me :D

I'm glad that you choose game development. In my childish way I find game development the ultimate programming, and the web dev that I do to be laughable in comparison, but I never seem to find time to dip my toes into it. One of my favorite game developers, Jonathan Blow (https://go.twitch.tv/naysayer88/videos/all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), did a presentation where he compared web with game dev that I found somewhat accurate and funny: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He is also creating a new programming language targeted to game development and a game using that language, and also a presentation software and more - quite an interesting fella.
Also, HandmadeHero: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where the guy creates a game from scratch and explains each thing he does.
Hey buddy! I feel the same way when it comes to web- and game dev. Just recently that I've come to terms with myself that it's what I really want to spend my time doing (Security got boring since I can't talk about what I do :P). Excellent resources btw, thanks! :D