Writing a book

Hobbies that have no own category (yet).
ayu
Staff
Staff

Writing a book

Post by ayu »

So I've been working on a book for roughly 8 years now.
In the last 3 years I've gotten extra serious about it and worked a lot on writing every spare second I get.
I even changed job recently just so that I would have more time to write.

It's time to publish it now, and I have been contacting publisher after publisher.
But I have a few issues that appear to be hard to overcome.

My book is a sci fi novel in English.
Another issue is the fact that it's hard to get anyone to read your material when you're a fresh author, but that seems to be a problem everywhere has who wants to publish.

Does any Suck-oteer know of any publisher that would match my material, that I could contact?
The number of publishers I have currently contacted is 16 (some have been contacted twice due to sister companies, and some have been avoided as they don't publish any fiction).

Any feedback/advice on this would be appreciated :)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Re: Writing a book

Post by Thesk »

Yes it's pretty hard nowadays to get one's books published. even in the music bussiness it's rough and hard and tiresome to get your music released so that you could get it on to Spotify or something like that. and it all bottoms down to Copy Right and money money money money moooneyyy (" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
:-99 :-99

could you supply us with a complete list of publishers you've been in contact with?
so that we something to work out from.
i think you should contact English publishers from country's outside of the north region like these country's England, US, Germany, netherlands.

or you could try to publish it yourself:

https://www.authorhouse.co.uk/LP02F10C0 ... gJDP_D_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it

here's some from the UK:

http://www.shieldcrest.co.uk/shieldcres ... gJjuvD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.bookguild.co.uk/publish-wit ... gK9K_D_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.novum-publishing.co.uk/beco ... gJh6fD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers! :D
The music industry is a matrix that is counter to what is natural and right.

- Prince -

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Thanks buddy!

I will take a look at the links, and also get back with a list of the ones I've contacted :).
Self publishing has been on my mind for a while, but I really want to focus on only writing and not having to work so much in advertising the book and so on (I heard it's a LOT of work).
So for now I want to really go through every single publisher available out there and see what I can find.

I'll be back tomorrow with the list! (Just came back from Amsterdam, so VERY tired xD)

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

With the way that Amazon supports self publishing today I don't see a huge benefit for going with a traditional publisher.

For starters its retentively low risk and low cost. Amazon sells more books than God, it's fast, they handle stock, you control pricing and get 70% of that pricing and they help promote your book for you.

If there is a downside I would say it is in you being responsible for the quality of your product. A traditional publisher will send your piece through an editor; Amazon just assumes your good to go.
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

lilrofl wrote:With the way that Amazon supports self publishing today I don't see a huge benefit for going with a traditional publisher.

For starters its retentively low risk and low cost. Amazon sells more books than God, it's fast, they handle stock, you control pricing and get 70% of that pricing and they help promote your book for you.

If there is a downside I would say it is in you being responsible for the quality of your product. A traditional publisher will send your piece through an editor; Amazon just assumes your good to go.
Yeah, you're probably right about it being very efficient.
But at the moment I just want someone to handle most of that stuff for me, so that I can focus on my writing.
Currently Amazon will be my last resort, and then I will simply try to handle a lot of the promotion myself as well.

Right now it seems like I need an agent, so I will drop this whole thing for now and just finish on polishing the book until I'm 100% satisfied.
I wont post the list of publishers here right now, because it's mostly written in Swedish and I can't be arsed to translate it if I'm going to put it on hold anyway :P.

Thanks for your input guys.
I will use this thread again when I start the publishing part again in a few months :D

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

cats wrote: Right now it seems like I need an agent, so I will drop this whole thing for now and just finish on polishing the book until I'm 100% satisfied.
I wont post the list of publishers here right now, because it's mostly written and I can't be arsed to translate it if I'm going to put it on hold anyway :P.
it's always a good idea to polish and wait on publication to you're a 100 % satisfied. that's what i always do before i'm releasing new Tracks on Soundcloud.
all my music tracks always takes about 3 - 12 months to take form due to creativity takes it's time and my own picky/fussiness about my work.
cats wrote: Thanks for your input guys.
Don't mention it. we always like to help each other. :D
cats wrote: I will use this thread again when I start the publishing part again in a few months :D
you're welcome to it if you remember it :D .... hehe :D

Cheers! :D
The music industry is a matrix that is counter to what is natural and right.

- Prince -