Browser comparison

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Browser comparison

Post by Thesk »

YO!

So with the new system of Windows (10) There's this new browser with it (edge), though it still has the old (IE) and that is not so easy to find. If you search for it with that windows search/Cortana it will find it for you, if you try to find it your self you actually can find it in the "windows accessories " folder.

then there's this "Google Chrome" browser which is my preferable browser, but it has some very annoying features. it's got problems with curtain java application which a lot of websites use. Though it's got a great feature with Google's drive, calendar and mail syncing functions with Android and IOS iPhone.

i haven't tried out "Edge" yet, i don't know if it's better functioning with Java.
is it even comparable to Google chrome? - or can it be used with the same functionality? and is it worth to use?

And what about "Firefox", never liked that browser, the design and the user interface, i find it ugly and unappealing. Is that browser better than the to above mentioned browsers?

OR are they all equal to each other ?

what do you guys think ?

Cheers! :D
The music industry is a matrix that is counter to what is natural and right.

- Prince -

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Browser comparison

Post by ayu »

Thesk wrote:YO!

So with the new system of Windows (10) There's this new browser with it (edge), though it still has the old (IE) and that is not so easy to find. If you search for it with that windows search/Cortana it will find it for you, if you try to find it your self you actually can find it in the "windows accessories " folder.

then there's this "Google Chrome" browser which is my preferable browser, but it has some very annoying features. it's got problems with curtain java application which a lot of websites use. Though it's got a great feature with Google's drive, calendar and mail syncing functions with Android and IOS iPhone.

i haven't tried out "Edge" yet, i don't know if it's better functioning with Java.
is it even comparable to Google chrome? - or can it be used with the same functionality? and is it worth to use?

And what about "Firefox", never liked that browser, the design and the user interface, i find it ugly and unappealing. Is that browser better than the to above mentioned browsers?

OR are they all equal to each other ?

what do you guys think ?

Cheers! :D
Do you mean Java or Javascript?
Java hasn't been used for a while now in the browser (or at least it shouldn't).

Edge and Internet Explorer are both horrible in my opinion.
They lack good addons which I use a lot (uBlock, Lastpass and NoScript to name a few).

I have never had any issues with Chrome, so I have used it for many years now and will probably continue doing so :).

Firefox had loads of issues when I used it (before Chrome) and I really only used it because of how I arranged my bookmarks in it.
After a while, Firefox removed all support for Flash on Linux, and there were a few applications I used that were written in Flash.
So after I realized that I didn't really use my bookmarks system anymore, I tried Chrome.
Haven't looked back since : P.

Firefox made some huge improvements about a year ago or so, but it came with a price.
A lot, if not all, of the plugins made for Firefox became unusable because of how the new version worked.
So all of a sudden all plugins one of my friends had, just vanished after the update, along with all his settings.

So, for me it's Chrome all the way.
I currently have it set so that all Flash and Java are disabled (ask before activate).
And all Javascript is also ask before activate, and then add to a whitelist (for my most used sites).
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

cats wrote: Do you mean Java or Javascript?
Java hasn't been used for a while now in the browser (or at least it shouldn't).
Yes i mean actually both, explanation further down :D
cats wrote: Edge and Internet Explorer are both horrible in my opinion.
They lack good addons which I use a lot (uBlock, Lastpass and NoScript to name a few).
i totally agree with you :lol:
cats wrote: I have never had any issues with Chrome, so I have used it for many years now and will probably continue doing so :).
i'm sorry to disagree on that.
i don't know if you've "Cats" have come across this odd security platform that has been implemented here in DK called "Nem-ID" where you get this key card with allot of numeric keys on it. you would use that every time you had to log in to your e-bank account and "e-boks" or log-in to your personal state information account "Borger.dk" (like a postal box, instead of you receive important emails from the state on your relatively insecure email account, you receive them on the higly secure "e-boks" site).
( i think i'm explaining it the right way :-99 :^o )
THAT thing still doesn't work because it uses JAVA and JAVA Script. i'm so frustrated about this.
cats wrote: Firefox had loads of issues when I used it (before Chrome) and I really only used it because of how I arranged my bookmarks in it.
After a while, Firefox removed all support for Flash on Linux, and there were a few applications I used that were written in Flash.
So after I realized that I didn't really use my bookmarks system anymore, I tried Chrome.
Haven't looked back since : P.

Firefox made some huge improvements about a year ago or so, but it came with a price.
A lot, if not all, of the plugins made for Firefox became unusable because of how the new version worked.
So all of a sudden all plugins one of my friends had, just vanished after the update, along with all his settings.
i totally agree on that too, i despise firefox :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil:
cats wrote: So, for me it's Chrome all the way.
I currently have it set so that all Flash and Java are disabled (ask before activate).
And all Javascript is also ask before activate, and then add to a whitelist (for my most used sites).
i have no luck with these settings, though I've tried them all and the browser still doesn't ask me whether or not i want it to run that flash or javascript, it just blocks flash and java. so I've just enabled them.

I'm a little divided in my opinion of what browser because of that "NEM-ID" thing which has been so poorly designed and written in java (script) that google chrome browser just doesn't get that application very well so it is full of errors when loading the logon, sometimes it loads it fine and sometimes it doesn't. And when it don't you'll have to continue to try again to log-in with your perfect generated credentials, like a social security number (CPR) and a password, after that you'll have to use the Keycard with allot of randomized numeric keys on. the application then (if it works) spits a 4 digit numeric phrase that is on the keycard (which has an ID number that the application knows) then you have to respond to that key phrase with a 6 digit numeric number which is on the keycard. (there's only one keycard with only one ID number on linked to your state account, which is linked to your social security (CPR) number) The application can fail, even if you responded with the right code. then you'll have to restart the process again from the start.
the application fails due to an incompatibility with java (script) and the poorly written code and chrome that doesn't understand the poorly written code very well "i only reeds HTML" ](*,) ](*,)

WOAH ... whuat a load o' shite i just poured out of me tommy.
guess i feel a little lighter now ... shiiish :D :D
(hense the accent of a British farmer from Wales)
The music industry is a matrix that is counter to what is natural and right.

- Prince -

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I'm using Chrome as everyday browser, I do have IE, FF and Safari installed too though because I need them for testing when developing websites.
Chrome is ok performance- and feature-wise, but I hate its caching....I mean, when pressing F5 the site should be loaded fully from scratch, but it often isn't.
had it a couple of times already that I worked on a site and wanted to check and edit that I made, and in the end I had to use ccleaner to flush all cached stuff from Chrome in order to make the changes even show up... :roll: so now I am actually using FF for such checks instead.

IE is as it ever was: awful. stuff looks fine and you think you're finished with work...until you check the site with IE and for some miraculous reason things are 5 pixel to the right there.
Safari is not too bad I guess, didn't used it much, but even if it would be awesome I still wouldn't use it as standard browser because I hate everything Apple.
used FF for a long time, from pre-1-beta versions up to 2.x, but then it became more bloated, slow, and overloaded with useless features (same as Thunderbird) with every new version.

I'm lately using the Sleipnir browser on my laptop, and it seems to be really nice (didn't had too much time to test it yet though):
https://www.fenrir-inc.com/jp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Chrome for me too!

@bad_brain: to refresh without cache open devtools and either right click the refresh button and choose Empty Cache and Hard Reload, or check the `disable cache` in the devtools networks tab (although I think the devtools need to be open for it to work).

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

Ever on the otherside :D
I use firefox and am not unhappy about the rebuild, despite the plugins all going obsolete (bonus I really like Rust). (I feel like they will never rebuild fireFTP... although to be honest I stopped checking months ago lol)
knuffeltjes voor mijn knuffel
[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac320/stuphsack/Sig.jpg[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

lilrofl wrote:I use firefox
heresy! 8O :lol:

nah, I just got used to Chrome, even if it caused some silly problems already....for like 3 months it simply refused to start for example, I had to use the Canary branch instead, which is of course a true bug-fest. then suddenly regular Chrome worked again.. :-s

but my 2nd choice would be FF, I am sure you can fiddle around under the hood a lot to customize it for your needs.

@ph0
ohhh....didn't knew about the right-click context menu in dev tools, thanks for the tip! :D

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Used to love Firefox, then Firebug decided to somehow merge with the regular dev tools in Firefox, making it look just as hideous as Chromes dev tools.

So I switched to chrome x)

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Wow, lots of Firefox haters here! :lol:

I actually hate Chrome simply for the fact that it's closed source and made by Google. I don't trust Google. Chromium is ok though.

I've been using Firefox for at least thirteen years*. It has had some issues, especially the memory bloat. I don't mind too much about the add-ons, but the ones I use all work in the new Firefox Quantum so I'm biased a little :P

* If I remember correctly, I was using Firefox when I first became a member here in 2005, but I'm not entirely sure. Man how time flies...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Gogeta70 wrote:Wow, lots of Firefox haters here! :lol:

I actually hate Chrome simply for the fact that it's closed source and made by Google. I don't trust Google. Chromium is ok though.

I've been using Firefox for at least thirteen years*. It has had some issues, especially the memory bloat. I don't mind too much about the add-ons, but the ones I use all work in the new Firefox Quantum so I'm biased a little :P

* If I remember correctly, I was using Firefox when I first became a member here in 2005, but I'm not entirely sure. Man how time flies...
I recently got some new hate for Chrome because I'm maintaining a web application at the moment and the caching capabilities in Chrome is freaking annoying >_> (It caches EVERYTHING and refuses to let go of it).

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I can see how that would be annoying. It's not really a fix, but perhaps you can control caching from the server side? At least during the development process.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Gogeta70 wrote:I can see how that would be annoying. It's not really a fix, but perhaps you can control caching from the server side? At least during the development process.
Yeah, that's something I would want to do I guess.
Currently our environment is a bit of a mess so the cache is crazy x)

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

@cats: did you try this:
ph0bYx wrote:@bad_brain: to refresh without cache open devtools and either right click the refresh button and choose Empty Cache and Hard Reload, or check the `disable cache` in the devtools networks tab (although I think the devtools need to be open for it to work).

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

ph0bYx wrote:@cats: did you try this:
ph0bYx wrote:@bad_brain: to refresh without cache open devtools and either right click the refresh button and choose Empty Cache and Hard Reload, or check the `disable cache` in the devtools networks tab (although I think the devtools need to be open for it to work).
Yup! It solves some of the issues but not all.
But it's a combination of many issues I think, plus some spooky shit going on, on one of our machines.
Oh well x)

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

On my PC, I use Chrome but since 2017 sometime Mozilla upgraded/revamped their browser. One change is that like Chrome, browser addons are in separate processes now. This adds better performance compared to the many years where Firefox was lagging.

However in my opinion the best change with this is on Mobile devices and this is because with the changes I can use addons like uBlock and noscript. Keep in mind many people weren't happy with the revamp of the addon engine because a lot of addons were made obsolete.

However with the ability to have effective adblockers on my tablet I am quite pleased with the improvements the Mozilla team made.