good used laptops for little money

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

good used laptops for little money

Post by bad_brain »

so, I finally got a decent laptop so I can work outside when the weather is nice...:D

I didn't wanted to spend much money, because it's only for work anyway, so I looked which used ones have the best price/performance ratio, my budget was max. 250 €.

first recommendation is the Lenovo Thinkpad X220:
https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-th ... 20/review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
specs are not THAT extraordinary, but what is really nice is the IPS panel screen. I'm working with an IPS panel monitor for my desktop system and the color quality is simply amazing. cheapest I have seen was for 124 € on ebay, almost-mint ones with lots of RAM around 199€. downside is that it's not really sexy... :lol:

my 2nd candidate, and that was the one I got, is the HP Elitebook 8470p:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP ... 640.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alu/magnesium case business laptop, which makes it a bit heavy but it definitely can take a beating...which is important for me because I'll have it in my biking backpack all the time. specs are pretty much the same as the Lenovo, no IPS panel but really high quality build (sexy! :lol: ). even with a regular HDD the performance is more than enough work business use, will replace it with a SSD soon though because it'll also add some transport safety. I got mine for 199 € in nearly mint condition, but it was a lucky shot, usually they go for around 250 € in decent condition.

the one I ALMOST got, because it is SO sexy with its Star Trek appearance, is the Lenovo Yoga Book:
https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/w ... ZITZTWYB2L" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the keyboard is a display too (some OLED thingy I guess), you can turn it into a graphics tablet! also super light means super portable. there is one problem though, the CPU is too weak, poopy Intel Atom one.....that's the price you pay when you want the laptop to be SUPER thin.
it's surely good enough for basic business stuff, surfing, etc., but I wouldn't want to use Photoshop on it because that would be surely a seriously laggy experience, especially when multitasking. seen it for 199 €.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: good used laptops for little money

Post by ayu »

Oho, so you are going to bring it on your bike adventures?
Sit under a tree somewhere with a 4G modem or something?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

kinda.... :lol:
my phone only supports 3G, often even less is available in rural areas. main purpose is to be able to fix urgent things without having to rush home, which means it's working in a shell in 99% of the cases, and for that I don't need really fast connections...:D

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

You definitely made the right choice. I have had Lenovo before and to be fair they were pretty fine except for one major fault they have, in fact my friend has one here and we have to do this every so often.

Sometimes when you close the laptop down or put to sleep, they wont start back up again, some kind of fault which is well know with Lenovos. This is fine if you are somewhere there is a power unit and you can take the battery out and use this way but a lot of Lenovos have a built in battery. The only way you can get them to turn back on is to connect things to the USB port if it is in sleep mode such as a phone or a USB lamp to drain the battery. Once the battery is fully drained the laptop will start working and recharge again, ...... not a problem you want when out and about and an emergency at hand!!
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com