My pc has been hanging up on me

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

My pc has been hanging up on me

Post by Thesk »

Hi :D

My pc has been hanging up on me several times when i browser (google chrome) on the internet at the most. sometimes it's doing it when i'm doing other stuff on the pc.
so i've been investigating the problem and it turns out that the error logs has been warning me a couple of times.

Log name: application
Source: ESENT

Event ID: 508

taskhostw (428,D,0) WebCacheLocal: A request to write to the file C:\Users\thesk\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\V01.log at offset 339968 (0x0000000000053000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (36 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

Event ID: 533

taskhostw (428,D,0) WebCacheLocal: A request to write to the file "C:\Users\thesk\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\V01.log" at offset 339968 (0x0000000000053000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes has not completed for 36 second(s). This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

Event ID: 508

taskhostw (428,D,0) WebCacheLocal: A request to write to the file "C:\Users\thesk\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.jfm" at offset 8192 (0x0000000000002000) for 8192 (0x00002000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (16 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

it's kinda frustrating that Windows 10 doesn't give anymore information about the problem.
i'm hoping you guys could help me out with this little snag :D

Cheers! :D
The music industry is a matrix that is counter to what is natural and right.

- Prince -

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Re: My pc has been hanging up on me

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, if it is a hardware problem, it's probably your hard drive. First thing I would do is make a backup of your data, if you haven't already.

I'd also suggest checking the S.M.A.R.T. status of your hard drive. On Linux, you can use the smartctl utility:

Code: Select all

smartctl -a /dev/sda
Also, you may want to run a self test. There are two kinds - short and long. Short usually only takes a minute or two, long will take at least an hour or more.

smartctl -t short /dev/sda
# OR
smartctl -t long /dev/sda
Once the test completes, run the first command again to check the results:

smartctl -a /dev/sda
Note: I've been using /dev/sda as the hard drive in the above commands. Make sure you choose the correct hard drive when running the above commands.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Thesk
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Thesk »

Good advice.
But since i'm on Wondoze 10 i do not know how to run the s.m.a.r.t utility via the CMD prompt window.
I've got a 150 gb SSD intel drive and a allmost filled 2TB HDD. how would you take a backup of 2 TB hdd?
The music industry is a matrix that is counter to what is natural and right.

- Prince -

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I'd recommend not running that hard drive until you determine if it has a problem. Continued use of the hard drive may cause further damage to it.

As for how to backup a two terabyte hard drive, the only way I really know of is to buy another two terabyte hard drive and copy the data to it. Fortunately, hard drives aren't all that expensive anymore so it shouldn't be a major cost for you I hope.

Although there are S. M. A. R. T. utilities for Windows, I would suggest doing it on Linux so that the hard drive is offline and not being used. Although it's not really meant for it I like to use Kali for some troubleshooting and diagnostic purposes. I believe it actually already comes with smartctl installed. I'm not saying that you should install Kali on your computer, a USB live image should do the trick.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...