Creating a PHP and mysql forums from scatch

All about creating websites!
kolinko

Creating a PHP and mysql forums from scatch

Post by kolinko »

Hey im looking for any resources or references on how to go about Creating a PHP and MySql Forums. Still a bit new to PHP and coding in general. I know this site isn't used like it was in the day but, I also know you guys know some good shit. Anyway hope to hear back.

P.s I thought I clicked coding tab. My mistake...they are right next to each other #-o

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Re: Creating a PHP and mysql forums from scatch

Post by Gogeta70 »

Hey, I think creating a forum with PHP/SQL is a great idea for learning ^_^
12 Years ago or so I actually made some PHP forums myself. A lot of the code is no longer available, but I did find some of my old PHP code posted in various posts around here. I'll post some of them below, you should definitely check them out 8)

PHP BBCode parser for forum system
IRC Logging system
IFF Encryption
Multi-server IRC bot
Image to HTML Ascii art converter - This one is super cool, definitely check it out! :D (You'll need to fix the HTML tags)
Single-user TCP/IP socket server in PHP
Photobucket gallery downloader - This probably doesn't work anymore

Some of those topics have more code posted further down too.

Regarding the database stuff, you may want to check out SQLite. It's very similar to MySQL but it removes most of the complicated stuff and leaves only the essentials needed for a basic database setup. There's also a nice GUI tool to help create and edit SQLite databases, available for Windows, Linux and Mac: https://sqlitebrowser.org/

Anyway, have fun with your project :wink:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...