Collecting books

Hobbies that have no own category (yet).
ayu
Staff
Staff

Collecting books

Post by ayu »

Been thinking for a while if we should have a book category on the forum. But realized it would be better to start of with a thread and see where it goes :). I like books! My partner and I have so many books now that we ordered a new huge book case yesterday to have place for them all. We both read a lot but I have a separate interest when it comes to collecting them, especially very old ones. Old or unusual ones are what I prefer. For instance I bought a 1934 copy of Mein Kampf part 2 a while back, with the extra intent of actually reading it at some point. But then I decided that I didn't want to read it before I had the first part so I could read that first. Actually found a copy of part 1 a few days ago, printed in 1934.
382853271_ea813b26-3778-4cd6-b735-73b990756f3a.jpg
382853271_ea813b26-3778-4cd6-b735-73b990756f3a.jpg (627.25 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
Will finish reading The Anarchist Cookbook first before I start with this one though xD.

If anyone else have any favorite books laying around, share! :D

PS: I am not a secret nazi. Mein Kampf is just for collecting, promise! I have the Quran and ordered the Tanakh recently to have "all sides".
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Collecting books

Post by bad_brain »

I have read Mein Kampf, mostly because the book was banned here until a few years ago... :lol:

I don't read too much, not enough free time and not enough topics that would interest me. here's the last ones I have read, I'm too lazy to get up and take pics (also borrowed one of them), so I'll use pics I find online... :lol:

first one is "Charlie Bronson stole my sanity" by Charles Salvador. that guy spent 40 years in prison (still is) and more than 30 years of it in solitary confinement...he says in his book that the only way to stay alive when all alone for such a long time is to go insane. besides his own story it contains lots of his bizarre paintings. the book should be very hard to get, it was a very small limited edition.....but once I have it back you can borrow it. ;)
in the meantime I can recommend the movie based on his life: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172570/
Charlie-Bronson-Stole-My-Sanity-Ltd-Edition-1.jpg
Charlie-Bronson-Stole-My-Sanity-Ltd-Edition-1.jpg (32.2 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
the next one is "Roadside Picnic" by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky. very dark russian scifi from the early 70's. based on the book is the movie "Stalker" which I highly recommend (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/), and (loosly) based on the movie is the "Stalker" game series.
roadside.jpg
roadside.jpg (109.8 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
and last but not least "Lords of chaos" by Michael Moynihan and Didrik Søderlind, it's a documentation of the rise of the norwegian black metal scene in the early 90's which ended in murders and church burnings. there is also a lame hollywood-style movie released a year or two ago, which is incredibly lame and stupid....so don't bother. instead I can recommend the documentation "Until the light takes us".
loc.jpg
loc.jpg (49.49 KiB) Viewed 3765 times

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 16:21
I have read Mein Kampf, mostly because the book was banned here until a few years ago... :lol:

I don't read too much, not enough free time and not enough topics that would interest me. here's the last ones I have read, I'm too lazy to get up and take pics (also borrowed one of them), so I'll use pics I find online... :lol:

first one is "Charlie Bronson stole my sanity" by Charles Salvador. that guy spent 40 years in prison (still is) and more than 30 years of it in solitary confinement...he says in his book that the only way to stay alive when all alone for such a long time is to go insane. besides his own story it contains lots of his bizarre paintings. the book should be very hard to get, it was a very small limited edition.....but once I have it back you can borrow it. ;)
in the meantime I can recommend the movie based on his life: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172570/

the next one is "Roadside Picnic" by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky. very dark russian scifi from the early 70's. based on the book is the movie "Stalker" which I highly recommend (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/), and (loosly) based on the movie is the "Stalker" game series.

and last but not least "Lords of chaos" by Michael Moynihan and Didrik Søderlind, it's a documentation of the rise of the norwegian black metal scene in the early 90's which ended in murders and church burnings. there is also a lame hollywood-style movie released a year or two ago, which is incredibly lame and stupid....so don't bother. instead I can recommend the documentation "Until the light takes us".
"Charlie Bronson stole my sanity" sounds really interesting so might check that one out. Reminded me of one that I finished recently (In Swedish though but there are versions in English as well) about the serial killer Carl Panzram.
9789186835200_200x_en-mordares-sjalvbiografi_haftad.jpeg
9789186835200_200x_en-mordares-sjalvbiografi_haftad.jpeg (21.68 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
One book that I've wanted for a long time but not gotten for ethical reasons but mostly because it only exists in Japanese, is the book released by the Kobe Killer aka Seito Sakakibara. Book is called Zekka and does not appear to have been translated by anyone. Sort of hoping that it will one day. Even if the ethical part of it makes me not want it I know myself and that I wont be able to stay away from it x).
FOR-WED-n-killerbook-a-20150702.jpg
FOR-WED-n-killerbook-a-20150702.jpg (421.27 KiB) Viewed 3761 times

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, the dark side can be fascinating... :)
speaking of japan, you might want to check the works of Yukio Mishima, stumbled over him a few years ago through a quote: "turn your life into a line of poetry written with a splash of blood":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukio_Mishima

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

So the Mein Kampf part 1 was an auction, and I lost it :/. I absolutely hate when people "snipe" auctions.
It went for €200 but I had no chance to bid over.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

does is have to be a historic copy? a new copy is around 40 bucks or so.... :-k

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 16:43
does is have to be a historic copy? a new copy is around 40 bucks or so.... :-k
Yup! Has to! :D
I was considering just buying a new one, but now that I have started this project I want to finish it xD (and I already have part 2 so). Besides, and this is a weird thing to say, but it has a sort of strange sentimental significance to me. I inherited these two books a long time ago but somehow they got lost in a move. It's one of the only things I had left of my great-grandfather. He was NOT a Nazi xD and he hadn't even read the book. But he had it in his bookcase for as long as I knew him :P. So somehow I want to "make it up" to him by getting new ones of the same type since I lost them x). Strange thing to be sentimental over I know : ).

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ah, makes sense....:) all I have left of my gandfather is an old pic of him as soldier on the eastern front and a few medals, so I totally understand.

will be a little tricky to find another one, but I recommend to check UK militaria websites, they have a huge WW2 re-enacting scene in the UK with lots of collectors. :)