Hijacking wireless keyboards

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
ayu
Staff
Staff

Hijacking wireless keyboards

Post by ayu »

Got a new toy today that I might write more about later :).
A new addition to my toolkit that makes it possible to hijack a wireless keyboard/mouse.
Has so far worked on all wireless keyboards in my apartment.
Safe to say I will be switching those very soon :roll:.
700c6af9-8b43-4c28-827c-ed9d32026243.jpg
700c6af9-8b43-4c28-827c-ed9d32026243.jpg (561.12 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Hijacking wireless keyboards

Post by bad_brain »

sexy! :D

hijack in the sense of using them or in the sense of a remote keylogger? or both? :-k

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 14:14
sexy! :D

hijack in the sense of using them or in the sense of a remote keylogger? or both? :-k
Haven't actually considered keylogging, I should look into that as well :-k.
Currently what it does is send keystrokes to a wireless receiver (Like those small Logitech ones for keyboard/mouse for example).
The idea is that I should be able to use it as a wireless RubberDucky during work at some point : D.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I did this exact same thing with my HackRF one a couple years ago. It's pretty scary stuff. I was able to pickup keystrokes from the wireless keyboard I tested with - a low-end Logitech keyboard. It probably depends on the wireless keyboard/mouse you're using, but if you live in an apartment, it would be very possible for your neighbor to sniff your keyboard/mouse.

Ayu, regarding using it as a rubby ducky, it should totally be possible! One thing you may need to play around with is the rate at which you send keystrokes. Especially in regards to distance - the faster you send the data, the closer you'll need to be. Also, I'm not sure how fast you can send the data in the first place, so it may not be able to work as fast as a regular USB rubber ducky.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Gogeta70 wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 04:11
I did this exact same thing with my HackRF one a couple years ago. It's pretty scary stuff. I was able to pickup keystrokes from the wireless keyboard I tested with - a low-end Logitech keyboard. It probably depends on the wireless keyboard/mouse you're using, but if you live in an apartment, it would be very possible for your neighbor to sniff your keyboard/mouse.

Ayu, regarding using it as a rubby ducky, it should totally be possible! One thing you may need to play around with is the rate at which you send keystrokes. Especially in regards to distance - the faster you send the data, the closer you'll need to be. Also, I'm not sure how fast you can send the data in the first place, so it may not be able to work as fast as a regular USB rubber ducky.
Yeah it even uses Ducky scripts so it works really well : D.
I think I might have hacked two keyboards that belongs to a neighbor or something, because the script suddenly found two keyboards that weren't mine and launched the attack xD.

So the script I used is jackit:

https://github.com/insecurityofthings/jackit

And to use the jackit tool you need a special card and firmware which you can get here:

https://www.seeedstudio.com/Crazyradio- ... -2104.html
https://github.com/BastilleResearch/mousejack

Super simple to use and has made me think extra when it comes to wireless keyboards/mouses. Always knew the problem existed, just never tried until now and realized how simple it was x).