Login.

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
d10b
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Login.

Post by d10b »

I'm goofing around on the network at my work and came across something while [still] trying to avoid the proxy [which blocks ssh :(]. I ran a tracert and found I always go thru 10.xxx.xxx.1 before going anywhere else. I telnetted to that IP and got this login.

User Access Verification

Username:

Could this be anything besides a cisco router?
``The true voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes``

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Most routers have 192.168.1.1 as their default, but you can change the IP on that to be several things so it's possible.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, 10.xx.xx.xx is a private IP, so it could be the router or a hardware firewall/packet filter. you could run a nmap -O scan to get some info about the OS which is running on it, which usually points also to the use of the box (but well, it might be noticed by the sysadmin of your company, so better stay away from doing it).

gogeta, you're right, most routers are using the class C 192.x adresses, but for a company the available adresses might be not enough then, that's why you can often find routers with class B (172.x) or class A adresses (10.x) which offer much more possible adresses.

:wink: