Tweeters

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Chaos1986
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Tweeters

Post by Chaos1986 »

Hey Guys I Just Got A Free Pair Of Tweeters Model #4401 Today :) I'm New To Tweeters So I'm Looking For Some Information. On The Box It Says Impedance 8 OHMS :?: What's That All About? And How Do I Tell How Many Hertz The Tweeters Are? :twisted: :evil:
If Man Made It Man Can Crack Or Hack It & If You Want To Be A True Hacker You Need To Keep Your Mind Open And Always Be Willing To Learn
[img]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/9996/chaos19862ub.png[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, the "8 Ohms" is the impendance of the box, which means the box has an inner resistance of 8 Ohms. this is important in context with the amplifier, the lower the inner resistance of the box is the more stable the power supply of the amp have to be, there are speaker from 2-16 Ohms (well, some exotic ones have even more or a little less), with your 8 Ohms-one you're on the safe side especially because tweeters don't need much power anyway...but bass speakers with little inner resistance can easily kill the amplifier if the power supply is not stable enough.
hard to tell what hertz-range the speakers have, you would have to tell me the manufacturer/model, maybe I'll be able to find something then.
:wink:

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

i may add some help

Post by floodhound2 »

Well actually I was always taught that impedance is not resistance but it is the opposition to change in an alternating circuit. For example if you have solders marching in a group and order them “to turn around or about face” they can. Now if you increase the about face again, and again and again faster, eventually some will begin to become out of time with the rest of the group; causing chaos. Soon some will begin to become unorganized. This is a poor example of impendence, but hopefully you get the idea. It is measured in Ohms but a different principal all together. Ohms or [Ω] is the measurement of resistance in a DC circuit. Like trying to suck a Volkswagen into a garden hose, it will have a lot of resistance. Resistance is linear as impedance is vector.

The speakers are designed to run at a given frequency, so don’t go and inject 80- 400 Hz into them they won’t like it. I say you will need to run them around higher frequency’s 1400-20000Hz (just guessing) but try using an EQ to limit them to the higher frequencies. Or design a filter using a capacitor in parallel/series to the 8Ω Tweeters I am guessing around a 4.7mF capacitor depending on if you are going to use it in parallel/series. You can still use an amp if needed but keep the low frequency’s out of them baby’s.

Peace
:P
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

wohoo, another hifi-freak? :D
you're right, impendance is not exactly the same as resistance, I just thought it's easier to understand that way. the impendance is a product of the resistance behaviour of a chassis under specified frequencies, and to make it even more complicated it also includes the capacity in context with the amplifier. in reality it is just a theoretical value because they use DC frequencies for the measurement which usually never appear in practice.
well, nowadays usually all speakers (except really exotic or bad ones) are in the safe range between 4-8 Ohms, some high-end speakers might go down to 2 Ohms sometimes....this was different 10 years ago when speakers like the Quadral Vulkan went down to 0.5 Ohms in some (bass) frequencies and fried the amps of a lot of people... :lol:
and right, it's a good idea (a must imo) to use at least a capacitor to filter the lower frequencies (4.7mF is pretty the default value so it should be safe to use it). if you're willing to spend a little more money for better sound you can use tinfoil-capacitors instead of a normal electrolytic one for example.