Algorithms and the next step

Questions about programming languages and debugging
RavenousBlack
forum buddy
forum buddy

Algorithms and the next step

Post by RavenousBlack »

So, I really got into c++ programming for awhile, and for a couple of weeks I was just hitting the books hard absorbing and retaining information. I would read a chapter in a book about something, then I would go on the internet and read two or three tutorials about the same thing, then I'd code some random program that utilized what I had learned. So I did that until I got to a dead end in my books and tutorials. So, what should I move onto next now that I have the basics pretty much covered, apparently? I've heard about algorithms, but I can't find any good resources about them, and I don't really understand what I can find. It kind of just has this "learn it your own damn self" thing to it. And all I really know about algorithms are that they are a set of instructions for the computer to follow. Is there anything else I should try to learn?

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, if i read your post correctly (it's late), you've got a good understanding of several functions of C++ and the Windows API, and you're wondering "What now?", right? Well, think of something to code, something that will make YOUR life easier, or something fun, to take away boredom. I code because it really gets my brain going, thinking in the most abstract, intrinsic ways. Anyway, once you find something interesting to code (should be a bit challenging, not too much), find some ways that other people did it (programmers heaven is a good place to start [google it]), then make it yourself, only better than the ones that you saw earlier. Basically, follow the simple rule that try to be the winner, to be better than everyone else, go above and beyond and explore your limits. You have yet to reach the stars.

Anyway, i'm about to pass out on my keyboard (you wouldn't believe how many mistakes i've made writing this... heheh), so i'ma go to bed. n... night....
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...