Windows....

Problems? Post here...
Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Windows....

Post by Gogeta70 »

Aight, as some of you know, i ordered a 250 gig hard drive. Well, i recieved it today, and popped it in my computer, attempted to install windows. It freezes up during installation. Turn off computer, it installs...

Start copying files from old hard drives to new hdd... computer crashes. Turn it back on - Windows is corrupted...

Repair install and several "chkdsk"'s later, i got it up working again, start copying files. Boom, bsod. Corruption.

By this time, gogeta70 is furious and is screaming vulgarities in an insane murder-like way. I turn to linux. It installs, no 'bsod's. Good 'ol linux. Fatalh.sytes.net is gonna be down for a bit, so is irc.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

What version of Windows?

The install disk could be corrupted...or Windows might not like some part of your computer (RAM comes to mind...that was the source of all my troubles).

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Windows xp. And i've been using this same install cd several times on this computer, i'm just reinstalling windows onto the new hard drive using the same cd that i've used a million times before. Oh well, linux is a better option anyway.

p99
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by p99 »

I had a similar problem. I had installed Vista on my 20 gig hdd and that didn't work out so I installed a linux distro. I got a 40 gig so I installed linux on that and formatted the hardrive with fat32.

From then on I have never been able to install windows. Not any version. I have formatted the drive in several differant types but it's a no go. I put windows on my 40 gig. And after the first boot it stopped working. Just wouldn't boot. I backed up files and now I'm using linux.

Oh. Windows always told me that my 20 gig hardrive wasn't windows compatible 8O

Go figure. Gogeta did you format your drive before you attempted to install windows?

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I just erased the file allocation table, not the actual hard drive.

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

Last winter, I couldnt install windows on a machine... always Error when installing. Ive tried alomost anything... Nothign work... Changing HardDrive, Cd drive, power cable, cds... And I still dont know what was the problem :?
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Windows was the problem ;P

jneaod
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by jneaod »

I agree that windows has a lot of problems and flaws. I use windows for three reasons instead of linux 8O

First: Windows is what my school uses and when i write an html page or JS script on linux and i look at it on windows the code is messed up.

Second: Windows has alot of programs available for it.

Third: I dont know how to connect to my dial-up connection with linux

If I could solve problem 1 & 3 I would go back to linux.

PS: Knoppix is what i used to use.

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

If my first windows install doesnt go well that means it will never work properly again, unless i format everything and do the installation again. And that is really annoying considering it takes forever for windows to install, unlike linux (or maybe it just feels like it).

Plus i also install it before dual booting linux. Otherwise windows acts strangely sometimes when linux is already installed. Right now, I got windows and ubuntu living happily together.

p99

Post by p99 »

First: Windows is what my school uses and when i write an html page or JS script on linux and i look at it on windows the code is messed up.
That isn't Linux man. That is your own computer. You not coding it right. The font setting on a linux machine can mess up how a table look on aanother computer however. Just make sure it is a true "table". And not just used for spacing.

Yeah Dial-up is a bitch to configure. But believe me it can be done. You actually have to figure out what hardware is in your computer when you use linux..

Imagine that! Needing to know more about my computer to get it to work?!
That's the way it used to be. Only the ones that designed them could use them. And that's when they were simple machines.

And yeah. The windows/ubuntu combo just doesn't work for me. I'd rather switch out the hardrives.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

p99 wrote: And yeah. The windows/ubuntu combo just doesn't work for me. I'd rather switch out the hardrives.

I don't know if it's possible during Ubuntu install (for most distros it is), but when the booloader is having problems with multiple OSs it's the best to first install Windows and then Linux....when you're asked where to put the Linux bootsector chose the floppy drive (or an USB stick if your mobo supports booting from USB). windows will start as normal when booting then, and for starting a Linux session you simply boot from floppy. at least that's the way I did it at the beginning, worked fine for me... :wink:

p99

Post by p99 »

I used to do that too. I actually ended up making copies of it(like 10) just because the damn things always end up with corrupted data. I know I could find out with a quick google search. It was rather simple actually. Edit the bootloader... Well I had Edubuntu dual boot with XP. And that was on ubuntu's default install.

But, I had windows installed for maybe a month tops. And I still managed to get all bogged down with virusses. Despite my paranoia of malware.

There are only a few things that I dislike about linux. But none of them could convince me to waste much space on my hardrive with windows.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

right.... :lol:
I've tried a lot of different distros already (about 30 I would say), and they do not only differ in the included packages like many people think. sometimes it's even pretty weird, for example: RedHat9 and Debian both use GRUB as bootloader...but when you want to install both distros on the same box you have to install RedHat first because the Debian GRUB is recognizing RedHat. If you install Debian first RedHat GRUB is not able to recognize Debian....but well, that's nothing compared to the weird behaviour of MS systems.... :lol:

alien100

Post by alien100 »

ok sometimes windows might not recognize a big hdd. partition hdd using windows 98 startup disk and try again and make sure that the hdd is fully formated my friend had the same problem