Unbuntu install boot troubles...

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Unbuntu install boot troubles...

Post by Stavros »

Well, I burned my copy of Ubuntu, but everytime it tries to load it gives me this error:

EMU836 Warning! Line A20 is already enabled. (it my not be exact, but it's very close)

I have no idea what this means. Anyone else have an idea?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

seems like a problem with the keyboard.....are you using an USB- or wireless-one, or maybe a KVM switch? if yes try it with a "normal" ps2 one which is directly connected....

:wink:

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Well, the good news is that I have a distro of Linux installed, the bad news is it was Plan B (SimplyMEPIS).

I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't get Ubuntu installed, but I'm glad that I do have a version of Linux installed.

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

Even i tried to install ubuntu on several computers.. but wasnt able to install on any of them. I guess ubuntu doesnt like me :roll: anyway there was an error.. i checked out ubuntu official support forums.. a guy had exactly same problem and they told him to chose another distro :? weird!!!

p99
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by p99 »

Yeah linux is strange at times. Support lacks in many places. But hey it's not like people are getting payed for it. My friend had to settle for a really old version of debian. The problem was that no "64-bit linux" would install on his 64-bit machine. Go figure that one out. Ubuntu generated unlimited errors or would just flat out quit!

Some machines it installs and works flawlessly. Others it is just a no go....

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, it depends on the distributor's policies. some follow the pure "strictly open source" path, which means no 3rd party apps are included which are not open source...and many hardware manufacturers don't want to supply the source codes for their drivers....the effect is that their hardware is not supported (or just badly supported by default drivers like VESA for graphics cards). the drivers can be added later, but it's a real pain in the ass, a buddy spend almost a week trying to make the driver for his NVIDIA graphics card work on Debian, after several attempts to build the new kernel (yes, you have to) he gave up...
other distributors aren't that strict and include drivers even if they are not open source, it's a little against the idea of a complete free OS but much more userfriendly...

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Hmm...

SimplyMEPIS == Ubuntu Breezy...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

The biggest change is that now approximately 75% of the packages in SimplyMEPIS are Ubuntu-maintained. Most of the other 25% of packages are Debian-maintained. The remaining packages MEPIS uses are MEPIS maintained....
:wink:

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

f*** packages.. compile your programs

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hehe...well, you know I use Debian, and I really enjoy package management with apt-get, simply because of the fact that you don't have worry about missing dependencies. I have compiled some apps too already, sure......but in most cases you end up in installing a dozend extra libs by hand as dependencies which takes a lot of time compared to a package manager...